Drip Torch

Wanabhunter

Yearling... With promise
Thinking of buying a drip torch to burn some cannary grass but also was thinking of burning leaves to make a small kill plot in the woods.

Has anyone ever used a drip torch to burn leaves in the timber? Also If so any tips and techniques would be great. Thanks in advance.

NY is pretty stern against burning fields. If I were to, I'd mix a little gas with some diesel in a gallon sprayer. Then use a pencil torch to light the section. MAybe kero with a bit of gass and a bit of motor oil.

We did a timber burn last year. Drip torch is invaluable. 2/3 diesel and 1/3 gasoline worked amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take a gas powered leaf blower into the timber and blow in your fire lines. Burning in timber can be very time consuming depending on the size of the area and trying to find the right weather conditions.

I’m going to be doing my first burn this coming spring. It’s small (2acres) and it’s easy because it’s a peninsula between cut cornfields.

I could probably light it with a bic, but you can bet your ass I’m buying a drip torch!😂. Who in the world wouldn’t want a drip torch??

I found a website awhile back where you can buy them used / rebuilt for about 2/3 the cost of new but I’ll likely just get a new one for around $170 online.

We have used one of these for many years for smaller jobs. They are pretty handy when you just need to burn a ditch or smaller acreage. We also use a pitchfork to drag fire and did that for many years with no torch at all. We burned thousands of acres that way.

Reactions: cbw
I was planning to buy two for a burn this year, but we have been so wet, I can’t get a disk in to prep the fire breaks.

This probably falls into the no s*** category, but here goes

Mix the diesel and gasoline yourself if you are carrying the torch......

Don't delegate the task to a " non combatant"

bill

In Missouri you can get free of charge from any Department of Conservation district office the use of a burn trailer which will consist of a gas powered 50 gallon trailer mounted fire suppression set-up, 2 gas powered blowers, 2 rakes, 2 shovels and 2 drip burners ..

You might wish to check with you states DOC/Wildlife folks to see if a simulator program is available ...
The trailer also has spray booms (Fold out) for plot/habitat spraying ..I use them many times a year doing timber burns and plot spraying ..I think our office maintains either 4 or 6 trailers for this express purpose ..check it out

Bear