Drilling early oats into dormant pasture

momatt

5 year old buck +
Hey Guys, I have a Land Pride 606nt that I bought a couple months ago and am itching to use. I bought about 300 pounds of forage oats and I am going to try an experiment. I've mowed the pasture and the pasture is completely dormant. Saturday I'm going to drill in a few one acre or smaller plots at about 60 pounds per acre and see if they beat the grass to green up. I'm looking forward to turkey season and think that this might help. I'm located in SW missouri. Have any of you tried this or something similar?

Not oats but I've drilled spring barley into dormant clover. Came up ok but I will drill at a much higher rate if I do it again.

Hey Guys, I have a Land Pride 606nt that I bought a couple months ago and am itching to use. I bought about 300 pounds of forage oats and I am going to try an experiment. I've mowed the pasture and the pasture is completely dormant. Saturday I'm going to drill in a few one acre or smaller plots at about 60 pounds per acre and see if they beat the grass to green up. I'm looking forward to turkey season and think that this might help. I'm located in SW missouri. Have any of you tried this or something similar?
You're talking pasture-cropping. There's not a ton of research here on it, but there is where people have to figure this out.

You're on the right track. Keep going.

You're a touch early Matt. The risk is most oats are not especially cold tolerant compared to other cereal grains. They will get some serious frost damage if it stays below 20 degrees or so for any length of time, may even kill them. Especially being seedlings..

If the existing pasture is CSG (like living fescue), I'd be impressed if much of it makes it out of the ground. Between the cold growing temps and allelopathic quantities, they're going to have a rough time.
I hope you prove me wrong.. :emoji_slight_smile:

Thanks all. I drilled in 300 pounds yesterday in four different places little over an acre I. Each area. Sure like the drill heavy enough to cut right through the grass and a touch of frost. Seemed to be placing the seeds perfectly. I’ll share photos in a couple weeks

Attachments

• 37345149-4315-48B8-9801-7A3559C34F1E.jpeg
    37345149-4315-48B8-9801-7A3559C34F1E.jpeg
    460.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 528BF138-6842-4D11-A312-6EC00D6BF239.jpeg
    528BF138-6842-4D11-A312-6EC00D6BF239.jpeg
    527.5 KB · Views: 16
  • D6E15726-84D9-4806-8CD7-5205B9FD6EFC.jpeg
    D6E15726-84D9-4806-8CD7-5205B9FD6EFC.jpeg
    383.8 KB · Views: 16
You're talking pasture-cropping. There's not a ton of research here on it, but there is where people have to figure this out.

You're on the right track. Keep going.
thanks for the link!

Frost seeding oats has been commonly done for hundreds of years.

I'd mark off what you did, then wait 2 or 3 weeks and seed some more next to it to compare.

Put any fertilizer in the ground when you seeded?

Do you have to drill the oats for the frost seeding to work? I don't have a drill but have broadcast rye in the fall with good success...