Dolgo Rootstock Source?

Diesel5610

5 year old buck +
I have been getting Dolgo rootstock from Ryan at Bluehill the last 4 years or so for my grafting and they have really impressed me. They grow quickly here and are very well anchored. I see Bluehill doesn't have any this year and I didn't find any doing a quick search on the internet. Figured I would ask here before I broke down and ordered some MM111 or Antonovka for the couple grafts I am going to do this year.

I've purchased Dolgo seedlings in the past from Chief River Nursery. That was several years ago, but at that time they had pretty reasonable and would work good for grafting.

Willis orchards has some. All about 6 each, Dolgo, trascendent, american crabapple, and wild apple. Got a few of each to try out. Interestingly, I have been reading up on old school cider crabapples. Hewe's is true to seed and was used for rootstock for many years in the 1700's and 1800's.

Some folks gave willi a bad rap on here. Guess Im finding out on my own this year. I got bartlet pears and a granny smith coming.

Willis orchards has some. All about 6 each, Dolgo, trascendent, american crabapple, and wild apple. Got a few of each to try out. Interestingly, I have been reading up on old school cider crabapples. Hewe's is true to seed and was used for rootstock for many years in the 1700's and 1800's.

Some folks gave willi a bad rap on here. Guess Im finding out on my own this year. I got bartlet pears and a granny smith coming.
I was very happy with my trees from Willis last year. I even had one produce a few apples year one!

I have gotten a few trees from Willis also I’ve not been unhappy perhaps not as large as some other places ship but they have lived.

2E1DA89E-DE18-4AB4-AD9D-521BF579FF4C.jpeg

Sorry about the double post . I don’t b know how to delete it.

This came from Chief River Nursery. They also have domestic apple rated from zone 4 south.

Rumors are that one supplier of dolgo seed is limiting the supply. Perhaps people should start growing their own.

Thanks for the replies guys, just what I needed. I am a big Chief River Nursery fan and can't figure out how I missed the Dolgo there. I am getting ready to order some spruce plugs and American Plum seedlings from them so I will probably just add the Dolgo to that order.

I ordered a dozen Dolgo from Chief River in 2019 if I remember correctly. 100% survival. Took a bit to get rooted down but some are approaching 10ft and some fruited for the first time last year. I actually grafted a couple crab varieties onto a few smaller trees last year and they did great.

I ordered a dozen Dolgo from Chief River in 2019 if I remember correctly. 100% survival. Took a bit to get rooted down but some are approaching 10ft and some fruited for the first time last year. I actually grafted a couple crab varieties onto a few smaller trees last year and they did great.
What size was the fruit on the dolgo seedlings?

Only three fruited last year. Since it was the first year to fruit, I don't know if it will be the same next year. One was a nice 1" size and tasted good; the other two were small, like a bird crab.

how late did the fruit stay on the tree? You have a dry summer?

I honestly don't remember, as it was only a handful of fruit. Maybe late August? I do remember that a few of the small bird sized ones actually never dropped and just dried up over winter. I saw one the other day when I was pruning. As I understand it, the first year can be a bit odd and may not repeat once the tree starts regularly producing. I really didn't care what they did, thinking I would turn them into Frankenstein trees with different grafts. By the way, this worked great and I had good success grafting onto these. Take a look at the graft growth over the summer... Had to add chicken wire so they wouldn't get browsed.

Attachments

• PXL_20220529_152033838.jpg
    PXL_20220529_152033838.jpg
    826.2 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20220805_222306529.jpg
    PXL_20220805_222306529.jpg
    806.7 KB · Views: 17