Dolgo crabapples

huntall

5 year old buck +
Iv mostly given up on apples in zone 8.
What luck I have seen in my area has been crabapple trees. I have some young trancedent crabapple trees that look to be doing good so far. This year I bought some dolgo crabapple trees that really look good. I bought them at a local nursury that i have always had good luck with their trees. I'm looking forward to see how they turn out.
I got a few planted last weekend and I'm going to plant couple more this weekend.

You will be very happy with them if they take. Great eating crabapple in my opinion

I have been trying for two years to get Dolgo seedlings for a thicket. I think you will be very happy if they make it.

I'm only going to have probably less than a dozen crabapple between the dolgo and the trancedent crabapple trees I already planted. I just heard so much about dolgo that I just had to give it a try.

Iv mostly given up on apples in zone 8.
What luck I have seen in my area has been crabapple trees. I have some young trancedent crabapple trees that look to be doing good so far. This year I bought some dolgo crabapple trees that really look good. I bought them at a local nursury that i have always had good luck with their trees. I'm looking forward to see how they turn out.
I got a few planted last weekend and I'm going to plant couple more this weekend.
I with you. I think I'm mostly sticking with crabapples for now. My land is so far and its hard to find the time to do everything I need to get done. The whitney,chestnut,and dolgos have done well for me with little maintenance. The apples are doing fair.

Yep - crabs are the real deal for wildlife. Very little to NO headache !! We have a bunch of them planted at camp. Dolgo, Chestnut, Whitney, Centennial, Trailman, Hyslop, All-Winter-Hangover, Violi's, Nova Scotia, Winter Wildlife, Centurion, Wickson, and Kerr.

I'm going to try some Dolgo this year along with some regular apple trees. I'm going to put 2 Dolgo in each plot I have, along with 3 or 4 regular apples. Liberty, Enterprise and Wolf River.

Sounds good...I look forward to seeing how they do

I'm going to try some Dolgo this year along with some regular apple trees. I'm going to put 2 Dolgo in each plot I have, along with 3 or 4 regular apples. Liberty, Enterprise and Wolf River.
You won't regret adding a chestnut crab to that list.

I'll add to my list. Won't be until next year though as I've got 26 apple trees and 500 spruce to plant and that's all I really want to handle this year. If some of the apples don't make it though I think I will go strictly crabs, as I have hundreds of wild apple trees about.

Art - I have to tell you - our Chestnut crabs are growing like weeds !! We should get our first fruit this year on a couple. They are in sunny locations and the one Chestnut is our tallest tree of the newer ones planted in the last 3-4 years. It's about 12-13 ft. tall now. Can't wait to try the apples !!