Dolgo Central Leader broken

VTer

5 year old buck +
I have a Dolgo on its 4th leaf and it made about 50 apples this year. I should have picked them off but didn’t. Today I checked the tree and the the central leader was bent at a 45 degree angle. It is broken on one side but the other side is intact. I was really bummed. I believe it was a coon as it is fenced. So my question is should I cut off the central leader or try to splint it or just see what happens? This was the best tree I have planted so far. So frustrating.

I have a Dolgo on its 4th leaf and it made about 50 apples this year. I should have picked them off but didn’t. Today I checked the tree and the the central leader was bent at a 45 degree angle. It is broken on one side but the other side is intact. I was really bummed. I believe it was a coon as it is fenced. So my question is should I cut off the central leader or try to splint it or just see what happens? This was the best tree I have planted so far. So frustrating.

Cut the broken leader off. It will heal and re-grow. What doesn't kill it makes it stronger. Or at least shorter. :-)

Cut the broken leader off. It will heal and re-grow. What doesn't kill it makes it stronger. Or at least shorter. :-)

My dolgos are tough trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dolgos are tough trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ya but,.... his racoon's are tougher than your racoon's Untitled.jpg