Disking for native browse.

Mattyq2402

5 year old buck +
In regards to disking to achieve native seed bank whats the process? Ive got some powerline and clearimgs i dont plant that id like to try.

When should i do this, sounds like spraying gly before may be a no go. How deep is the disk? How many passes?

What would you do if you are over run with nutsedge? Ive heard millions upon millions sedge seeds will be waiting to pop once you get it?

On another note, is sedgehammer the only herb you all use on sedge?

MS State does a lot of research on this topic, especially Dr. Craig Harper.

Good read:
I don't see much nutsedge here (in our place in MO) so I can't comment. Our first year of growth after disking for early successional habitat is usually dominated by foxtail, ragweed & carolina horsenettle. Some Goldenrod also. Burns have exposed partridge pea, illinois bundleflower, and ironweed growth. Much more beneficial natives.

We also have some common milkweed (and occasional rare butterfly milkweed) but I think I may have planted the former ....checking the wind/thermals... :emoji_thinking:

Last edited:
Fall disking is a great way to get forbs.
Left: fall disking without spraying with a lightly planted fall plot left to go fallow
Right: Spraying on right with no disking. (it is planted with a pollinator blend that will eventually show up)
This is one year after.

20210904_174138.jpg

As for the nutsedge, turkeys love it! But, I would rather not have it. I do have about a good patch of it coming up in my pollinator planting along with some other nasties that I'll have to figure out how to deal with next spring. Nutsedge is expensive to get rid of from what I've heard.

20210904_173357.jpg

It's worth a try just to see what you get. I tried it in a couple places and got some interesting results. One area came back almost pure chickweed. Another area came up grass, buttercup, and dock. The last area is almost pure nettle and fireweed, with a bit of dock.

It was interesting to see, but I will have to burn it all down and plant what I want.