Deer-vehicle collisions predict movement

Prairie Acres

A good 3 year old buck
Hunters often ask, "Has the rut has started?" I guess what they are really asking "Are the deer moving?" I wonder the same thing if I'm not seeing anything in the Wisconsin woods in late October. Reading the attached deer collision chart tells me that come late October the deer will be moving. Maybe not in my woods on that particular day.
DeerCar - Copy.jpg

I just ask my wife when the insurance claims start ramping up.

I see deer on my drive to work almost every day. Likely no more or no less than during the rut. But... during the rut they are on the move at less predictable times of day, and are much more stupid about running into traffic.

What's going on in June? Is that when yearlings transition to new areas up there?

I’m in insurance, and one thing I’ve noticed is buck movement and collisions seem to happen more in my area of Minnesota during (after dark periods) in the actual gun hunting season.

My theory (not science based) is the bucks lay low due to the intense pressure and then go crazy after dark with breeding and traveling.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been called or text on buck hits after dark during the November gun season, usually the first 2-4 hours after dark.

Increased traffic could have some impact as well.

I’m in insurance, and one thing I’ve noticed is buck movement and collisions seem to happen more in my area of Minnesota during (after dark periods) during the actual hunting season.

My theory (not science based) is the bucks lay low due to the intense pressure and then go crazy after dark with breeding and traveling.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been called or text on buck hits after dark during the November gun season.

Did you see the MO study? Where a buck would travel ~8 miles a night after dark during November? His daytime movement was in yards.

My mom crushed one with her pickup yesterday. Data makes sense!

I’m in insurance, and one thing I’ve noticed is buck movement and collisions seem to happen more in my area of Minnesota during (after dark periods) in the actual gun hunting season.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been called or text on buck hits after dark during the November gun season, usually the first 2-4 hours after dark.

I agree with your theory in MN.

Is your gun season during the rut?
Ours doesn't start until after Thanksgiving.

The total movement of bucks during the rut definitely increases, but the radio collar studies show it only increases in daylight by about 20% for bucks.

If you run enough cameras and were to plot sightings of bucks on camera, I would bet it would be pretty similar to this chart as well. They are definitely more active this time of year.

Mothers are running off the button bucks. Dead deer on the road in June are mostly bewildered button bucks.

Most of the ones I saw this summer were fawns.

Does are more active late May and June with increased feeding due to lactation

During the summer here the deer are always trying to find somewhere away from all of the biting flies and mosquitos.

I always feel like the June deal coincides with the arrival of buffalo gnats in my area. I can buy the other explanations too.