Deer Stats for Bayfield County

Terrific_tom

5 year old buck +
I was looking at the CDAC recommendations for the different counties in Wisconsin that I hunt. Looked at Bayfield County where I have gun hunted for the last 28 years. They had all the stats from 2006 to 2014 and I saw that for 2014 the over all deer kill was 1 deer per square mile of deer habitat.:( This included all seasons. Very sad considering for years that Bayfield County was second only to Waupaca County in number of deer killed.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/cdacmetrics/Bayfield.pdf

Hopefully the new rules will help turn it around in a few years TT.

Crazy. This mild winter is a start.

I bet there are a lot less hunter density than there was back then also.

Very sad. Big woods bucks in that area are super cool.

Holy smokes, 11,324 total kill to 2,104 in 8 years. It looks like deer density would have went from 28 dpsm in 2006 to 13 dpsm in 2014 per their estimates. Do you think that is accurate based on your observations?

Our place is pretty much straight west of Ashland with similar habitat overall from what I have seen. A lot of big woods, but some areas of farming mixed in.

Holy smokes, 11,324 total kill to 2,104 in 8 years. It looks like deer density would have went from 28 dpsm in 2006 to 13 dpsm in 2014 per their estimates. Do you think that is accurate based on your observations?

Our place is pretty much straight west of Ashland with similar habitat overall from what I have seen. A lot of big woods, but some areas of farming mixed in.

I think those dpsm numbers are pre hunt. Take the kill numbers from gun and bow off that and the numbers might be close to actual dpsm. Then you have your wolf kill numbers to subtract and a closer estimate would be around 6 to 8 dpsm. With this kind of numbers the deer herd up there will never come back or increase.