Dealing with privet and yaupon in a woodland

Turkish

5 year old buck +
Took one last look at a piece I’m interested in buying in SW MS. Not too familiar with this area, as I’ve spent all my time a few clicks north. The forested portions go from pockets of decent water oak saw timber to volunteer gum and pine where it was probably open land 30 years ago. All of it closed canopy and all of it has a healthy understory of privet and yaupon. The invasives aren’t an issue now, all shin high, but I worry what would happen when the canopy is opened up.

How are situations like this dealt with? I almost cant imagine it being feasible to do anything than other than use fire in some comprehensive fashion, as manual treatment seems cost prohibitive. Is fire effective on these plants? Am I right to be concerned? Is there even a consensus on privet being good or bad?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, privet is going to be a fact of life in SW MS. My property is in south Louisiana. My property was planted in pine trees about 25 years ago. The pines shaded everything out until they were thinned about 10 years ago. The privet exploded along with yaupon, sweetgums, water oaks, and an assortment of other native plants. The only invasives I try to control are tung trees and Chinese tallow. The privet is here to stay now. If I would have done rotational burns every few years when the pines were thinned, I might be able to control it. I am past that point now as the privet is too large and if burned would probably burn too hot and ruin the pine trees, not that the pines are worth anything at current prices. I would need to use a forestry mulcher, spray, and then burn to get it under control now. If you can get started before it gets out of hand, you might have a chance. With that being said, if you are managing for deer, there are worse invasives to have. Deer will browse it and it does provide cover. I would rather not have it, but with its current extent on my property, I have other battles to fight. When the pines are clear cut in a few years, I will try to get a handle on it. Chemical treatment and burning will slow it down and control it, but you will never get rid of it.

Unfortunately, privet is going to be a fact of life in SW MS. My property is in south Louisiana. My property was planted in pine trees about 25 years ago. The pines shaded everything out until they were thinned about 10 years ago. The privet exploded along with yaupon, sweetgums, water oaks, and an assortment of other native plants. The only invasives I try to control are tung trees and Chinese tallow. The privet is here to stay now. If I would have done rotational burns every few years when the pines were thinned, I might be able to control it. I am past that point now as the privet is too large and if burned would probably burn too hot and ruin the pine trees, not that the pines are worth anything at current prices. I would need to use a forestry mulcher, spray, and then burn to get it under control now. If you can get started before it gets out of hand, you might have a chance. With that being said, if you are managing for deer, there are worse invasives to have. Deer will browse it and it does provide cover. I would rather not have it, but with its current extent on my property, I have other battles to fight. When the pines are clear cut in a few years, I will try to get a handle on it. Chemical treatment and burning will slow it down and control it, but you will never get rid of it.
Thanks for this. Noticed a manageable amount of tallow, but the privet was everywhere. I’m confident a little TSI would supercharge it.

Mechanically pulling the yaupon out of the ground works best for me. Tried burning and chemicals. Just sets it back. Jan - may is the best because of the damp soil. I use a 45hp tractor with front end loader and heavy chain, wrap it at twice around yaupon base then back the tractor up. Trying to just use front end loader on this small of a tractor will flip it. 2-3 extra guys to help is a plus.