All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dappled willow seedling source

andrew

5 year old buck +
Anyone know a good source for these? Not interested in cuttings, thanks.

Anyone know a good source for these? Not interested in cuttings, thanks.

I'm afraid you are likely only going to find them for sale for landscaping usually referred to as "Hakuro-nishiki". And they are going to be expensive. Hopefully you can find a commercial grower that sells them cheap!

They have become my favorite willow over the last few years. This year they were still holding most of their leaves in mid-late November. Much later than any other willow I've seen.

Good luck with your search!

-John

I wouldn't mind going with cuttings I guess, I would be planting them in reed canary grass in a wet spot. I didn't get that area sprayed in the fall so Im afraid it would take a lot of prep to get it good enough for cuttings correct?

I'm afraid you are likely only going to find them for sale for landscaping usually referred to as "Hakuro-nishiki". And they are going to be expensive. Hopefully you can find a commercial grower that sells them cheap!

They have become my favorite willow over the last few years. This year they were still holding most of their leaves in mid-late November. Much later than any other willow I've seen.

Good luck with your search!

-John
"Hakuro-nishiki" What is the difference between the landscaping variety and the “wild” variety cutting that you sell?

"Hakuro-nishiki" What is the difference between the landscaping variety and the “wild” variety cutting that you sell?

About $3 each.

They are exactly the same plant. When I first purchased 40+ types of willows for BRT, I noticed "Dappled Willow" (the simple name I tend to use) had some qualities that were useful for deer guys. So I started growing it in bulk and selling them at a lower price.

To be fair, the ones you find at the garden store are established plants in a pot. Not a cutting, so the price difference is reasonable.

-John

About $3 each.

They are exactly the same plant. When I first purchased 40+ types of willows for BRT, I noticed "Dappled Willow" (the simple name I tend to use) had some qualities that were useful for deer guys. So I started growing it in bulk and selling them at a lower price.

To be fair, the ones you find at the garden store are established plants in a pot. Not a cutting, so the price difference is reasonable.

-John

John ... Your dappled wills will get much taller that a potted garden store variety that is 4-5' I believe ... correct?

John ... Your dappled wills will get much taller that a potted garden store variety that is 4-5' I believe ... correct?

There could be some "dwarf" varieties out there. But I'm not aware of any.

The stock I started with came from a willow supplier in Canada. They sell them (and dozens others) to homeowners for landscaping use as far as I know.

For landscape usage they are a great plant. New growth has a really nice looking salmon color. Cut them down to the ground every couple of years and they always look great.

-John