Culturing / collecting certain weeds?

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
Anybody promote certain weeds in your habitats? After work today I was collecting dandelion seeds for camp up north. I also collect english and common plantain as well as crabgrass seeds.

I know the plantains and crabgrass is well loved up north? Are dandelions a worthwile forb? I try hard to focus on early spring food up at my camp. The deer move out of the area in the winter to yard up. I try to keep the open areas with quality early season forage. Besides clover, I plant willow and red dogwood for early season

I like to collect; pale purple cone flower, catsclaw mimosa, bergamot, big bluestem, switchgrass, and Indian grass seed to spread around.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I've never tried to promote any weeds but I've watched deer walk through my yard and chomp the tops off dandelion so I know they like it.

I've never tried to promote any weeds but I've watched deer walk through my yard and chomp the tops off dandelion so I know they like it.
Its definitely attractive to them in the spring. Not sure about the rest of the year.

This isn't for a food plot area, but for the cabin and parking lot lawn areas up at camp. I mostly do legume / grain mixes in the plots up there. Not sure what I plan for the snowmobile trail, I've done clover n grains for a few years. Once I get more areas done, I may just go fallow there for a few years to see what happens.

Anybody promote certain weeds in your habitats? After work today I was collecting dandelion seeds for camp up north. I also collect english and common plantain as well as crabgrass seeds.

I know the plantains and crabgrass is well loved up north? Are dandelions a worthwile forb? I try hard to focus on early spring food up at my camp. The deer move out of the area in the winter to yard up. I try to keep the open areas with quality early season forage. Besides clover, I plant willow and red dogwood for early season

I think the best definition of a weed is "A plant growing where you don't want it". By that definition, if you are promoting it, it's not a weed. :emoji_smile:

I will spend several hours each year killing some plants and promoting others in my prairie. This is primarily done with spot spraying., but other methods are used as well. You might be interested in the following thread: https://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/take-a-walk-with-me-through-the-prairie.12349/

Kind of got an answer to my question. I have a family of candian geese in the backyard. I saw them on saturday going after the dandelion in my yard next to the clover food plot. Hitting one right after another. Don't see much nibble marks on dandelion, but maybe they destroy the entire plant one at a time, like the geese did.

To be honest, I am kind of sick of redoing the yard and parking lot. A club member bought a new kubota and has wrecked the area two years in a row. Have not seen take 2 of the wreckage. But, last time he made the drainage situation worse. Decieded to open up the driveway carved out of a small hill. Filled up a wet sinkhole in the parking lot. Wasnt great before, but was better than it is now......