Cultipacker bearing question

homegrownbucks

5 year old buck +
C5CE39AF-4F72-44EE-B09C-99FA38B4A853.jpegI am assembling a cultipacker and fleet farm had the bearing below available. Not sure it’s heavy duty enough for a cultipacker, is there a specific type or grade I should be looking for?

Don't know your location, but if you have a Motion Industries outlet nearby you could check with them. I do know that you can get light duty, medium duty and heavy duty pillow block bearings. The center height or bolt hole spacing may change. I'd go with a brand name bearing Dodge, SKF, Sealmaster are some good name flange and pillow block bearing names. If the bearing ever takes a dump you can take it out of the housing and put a new insert in, it should be from the same company though or the grease groove may not line up properly.

I'd use camlock inserts if you can get them, they're easier to take off in the future, you don't have to deal with the booger left by the set screws. Just make sure you lock the cam in the direction of the shaft rotation.

I agree stick with a brand bearing that is of quality, like timken, as for if the pillar bearing housing is strong enough, pretty much all of them come with spec's that list what they can handle, and from there consider the size. weight of what packer your wanting to use them on
I would always suggest going up a size or two over just enough as when you consider the stress and extra weight/load put on things like packers when the ground is uneven and your torquing on it as one side takes a harder impact than the other, or when gravity has it ways of it catching up to tow vehicle at times, that little slop in the pin connection can multiply weight put on hardware!
and JUST like the pillar bearing housing, the bearings themselves will have spec's on what they can handle
you can also maybe contact the maker of the bearing housing you found to find out spec's if no info is available from the seller!
other wise, if you again know the sized weight of your packer, try contacting a good bearing company and ask them for suggestion on a pillar bearing house!, lots of good bearing places out there these days
a quick web search should net you several near you if you look! or at least can pick there brain on suggestion on what you need!

Are you looking for a replacement or building a new cultipacker? The size and strength will depend upon the shaft size you have and the weight and width of your packer. Not enough info here....IMO. I dont think you need the highest quality bearings for an occasional use like a cultipacker.....but buy a reasonable brand that has replacement parts. I have found some reasonable stuff on the web.....just cannot remember the names. Google is your friend.

A7948E77-6060-4809-8430-841965D426BC.jpegWe cut an old 8’ in half to make one suitable for an atv. Not sure the weight but should be good enough for plots and I have a new yard I’m working on also07943916-9DD2-4AAF-BCCD-80B3D6CE3E5E.jpeg

^. Bearings direct has provided good service and decent quality for me.....and good prices. I think their standard bearings would last longer that those packer wheels. Keep em greased.

ATV with a few acres, cheapies should treat you ok. Doing over a dozen acres? Cultipacker going through hell to get to a backwoods plot, or plot area real rocky? Maybe bump it up a notch.

Grease before and after each use. Leave grease on the nipple, dont wipe it. That bit of grease protects you from getting dirt in the tip. Cap is even better. Find an old hand sprayer, mix 50 diesel 50 used oil. Spray everything a bit when your done, that'll keep it from rusting bad. Leaving it on a pallet with n old tarp underneath to keep weeds from growing helps alot if leaving outside.

Here’s the final product, looks real good to meEEC41314-9C77-430D-8947-944AF5ECA4D1.jpeg

Attachments

• EF28C548-D188-4458-816F-4ED932A4222F.jpeg
    EF28C548-D188-4458-816F-4ED932A4222F.jpeg
    890 KB · Views: 51
  • 3CCCC270-6CA3-471D-BEE4-E4EAC35268E9.jpeg
    3CCCC270-6CA3-471D-BEE4-E4EAC35268E9.jpeg
    763.1 KB · Views: 52
NIce!

Here’s the final product, looks real good to meView attachment 43800

I like your build, and I am sure it will serve you well for a long time. One thing I would do tho....is to flip that frame over.....so the pillow block is supported by the frame and not solely by the casting. I see you have not yet put a hitch pin on it....so this would be an easy time to make the change. I suppose it may never be an issue for you....but I believe it would be stronger that way. (maybe it's just me? grin) Good job.

You have any extra of the spur toothed ones? I have a 4ft version of that one. It came with a 2 inch shaft though. My guess the diameter of the packer is 15 inch or so.

How does she work? I was debating whether I need more weight to do what I need to do. Was debating just buying a heavy duty roller, or making a concrete monster.

You have any extra of the spur toothed ones? I have a 4ft version of that one. It came with a 2 inch shaft though. My guess the diameter of the packer is 15 inch or so.

How does she work? I was debating whether I need more weight to do what I need to do. Was debating just buying a heavy duty roller, or making a concrete monster.
I used up all the parts I had unfortunately. Haven’t had a chance to use it yet but I think it should do the job for the small amount of planting I’ll be doing with it.

I like your build, and I am sure it will serve you well for a long time. One thing I would do tho....is to flip that frame over.....so the pillow block is supported by the frame and not solely by the casting. I see you have not yet put a hitch pin on it....so this would be an easy time to make the change. I suppose it may never be an issue for you....but I believe it would be stronger that way. (maybe it's just me? grin) Good job.
I haven’t attached the hook up yet so I’ll keep that in mind!

What you did looks ok, I hope it last for you. If it does fail I'd seriously consider a wood block bearing. Look back at old eq from the 30's or 40's that's what they had and they lasted. When I had my property I bought an old 12' packer and made 2 of them from it. Both had wood bearings and never gave me any issues. I looked for a pic but it was on PB and that account is long gone.

How come I see housings but no bearing in the housing? If the bearings are there how did you lock them onto the shaft?

How come I see housings but no bearing in the housing? If the bearings are there how did you lock them onto the shaft?
Had to do a double take. Your right Jerry.....it doesn't appear there are bearings in those pillow blocks! WTH? It may go for some time.....but why not use a bearing?

Won't last long without the bearings. You'll rub right through those pillow blocks, especially with some gritty sand mixed in.

Won't last long without the bearings. You'll rub right through those pillow blocks, especially with some gritty sand mixed in.
Nice welds though