CRP reseeding/replanting suggestions?

Dukslayr

5 year old buck +
A friend of mine and I just completed the purchase of a farm that has 243 acres that were just re-signed for a 10 year re-enrollment in CRP. The property was previously in CP2 but this enrollment was approved for CP1. We completed an extensive cleanup project at the farm ahead of being accepted back into the program. In conversations with the FSA they have indicated that much, in not all, of the property will be to be burnt and reseeded in the spring, which kind of sucks because much of NWSG are in good shape after cleanup and burning much of it this year. It appears that we are eligible for cost sharing to help cover some of the replanting costs, but should we have to replant it I’m trying to figure out the best way to go about it. Theoretically if we need to replant all 243 acres that’s going to be quite the project. We have yet to select what will be planted but I’m curious what methods you would consider to get the whole property replanted? I’m wondering if we burn the property this spring and then mix seed with fertilizer at the coop and have their truck come out and spread the mixed seed and fertilizer? Anyone ever done that on a large scale like this? I know I have heard of people doing it on a much smaller scale but not sure if this would be an option on such a large project. I’m not sure that having a large drill come out will be a viable option. The people that attempted the cleanup before us used a tree shear instead of pulling the trees so there are lots of roots and stumps just below ground that I assume would be tough on a drill. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks gang.

If the NWSG are in good shape what sucks? Sounds like you could get by with less seed if that is true. Less seed equals less money. The drill will hold up just fine if the stumps are cut off at ground level or below a bit. You will know what the case is after you burn in the spring. Rent one and use it as a rental.

If the NWSG are in good shape what sucks? Sounds like you could get by with less seed if that is true. Less seed equals less money. The drill will hold up just fine if the stumps are cut off at ground level or below a bit. You will know what the case is after you burn in the spring. Rent one and use it as a rental.
What we are being told is that much of what’s there won’t qualify for CP1, which is why they’re saying it will likely need to be sprayed and/or burned and replanted into plants approved for CP1. We burned 1/2 of it this year and the stumps that remain are at or below ground level. They did a nice job shearing them but still hate having the stumps left behind, even if they’re at or below ground level. We could rent a 10’ drill from the NRCS but I have no idea how long it would take me the plant the whole thing with a 10’ drill (particularly since I’ve never used one). I would probably look to hire it out if it needs to be drilled...was hoping there might be another solution that others have employed on larger scale projects like this.