Crabapple Varieties & guys' comments / input

Update from camp on Dec. 8th - Winter Wildlife crabs from SLN are still holding 1" red crab apples. A WW crab planted in 2015 as a small whip is now 12 ft. tall and holding those red apples. Base of trunk is 2" dia.

Spring 2019 crabs to plant - 1 Chestnut crab and 1 Winter Wildlife crab. That'll bring our Chestnut crab total to 5, and our WW crab total to 4.

I blame my crab apple fever on 2 guys …………. Sandbur and Stu Smith. Boy - they do make good wildlife trees !!!

You been hangin’ with a bad crowd!

Stu pointed out that this tree is still holding some crabs.
20581831c273bfcbeb6266a035e40093.jpg

It’s a rootstock on public land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still holding and dropping some.
7d204c54bc0b064d49036df8f29f7820.jpg
4555a14184d8fb8f6c53292576ed0ca2.jpg

I have about a dozen seeds drying from this tree. If anyone wants them, send me a pm.

Maybe they cold stratified on the tree, maybe not.

Update from camp on Dec. 8th - Winter Wildlife crabs from SLN are still holding 1" red crab apples. A WW crab planted in 2015 as a small whip is now 12 ft. tall and holding those red apples. Base of trunk is 2" dia.

Spring 2019 crabs to plant - 1 Chestnut crab and 1 Winter Wildlife crab. That'll bring our Chestnut crab total to 5, and our WW crab total to 4.

I blame my crab apple fever on 2 guys …………. Sandbur and Stu Smith. Boy - they do make good wildlife trees !!!

You been hangin’ with a bad crowd!

Stu pointed out that this tree is still holding some crabs.
20581831c273bfcbeb6266a035e40093.jpg

It’s a rootstock on public land.

Still holding and dropping some.
7d204c54bc0b064d49036df8f29f7820.jpg
4555a14184d8fb8f6c53292576ed0ca2.jpg

I have about a dozen seeds drying from this tree. If anyone wants them, send me a pm.

Maybe they cold stratified on the tree, maybe not.

They are headed to Michigan.

Thanks Sandbur. I appreciate the seeds. I’ll pot them up and do my best with them and keep you informed.

Creative naming system. I like it. You end up with much shorter crabapple variety names than I do. I found one this weekend that I named "65 yards north of the driveway and 105 yards west of the fence post".

Creative naming system. I like it. You end up with much shorter crabapple variety names than I do. I found one this weekend that I named "65 yards north of the driveway and 105 yards west of the fence post".

I just spent 90 minutes visiting with my crab apple buddy. He gave me some scion he calls Tanks. Similar to the Long Prairie crab he gave me a few years ago. He also has a Pillsbury from the road named that.

I have an Eden Valley and a Buckman crab... named after the towns in central Minnesota.

The Pillsbury Road crab scions -- do those get grafted onto MN-25 rootstock (if you have your shovel in the truck when you spot them)?

The Pillsbury Road crab scions -- do those get grafted onto MN-25 rootstock (if you have your shovel in the truck when you spot them)?

Or Mn 27.

Still holding some apples.
20e6ddcdae15d068717523af5be086cc.jpg

Now called the Courthouse Crab.

Will you be offering scions from that one next winter?

Still holding some apples.
20e6ddcdae15d068717523af5be086cc.jpg

Now called the Courthouse Crab.

Will you be offering scions from that one next winter?

I wish that were true.

But given time .....

My claim to Apple fame will be my “Centerfield Apple”. Simply because it is in the center of the field. Hopefully making it up Saturday to get some scion. I had 4 grafts make it last year so I am on my way. Hope to do another 10 this year.