Crab question

chbarnha

5 year old buck +
So I’m new to the whole fruit tree thing, my trees have been in the ground going on their third year. Can I expect fruit this year or what are these on the tree?
b38e1924d409ea9285b2cd42763747f5.jpg

f87dec1ab8c94544ba7f92f9dcda1109.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fruit

That's fruit!

Yep - You've got fruit.

Now....if the fruit is for wildlife you are good to go. If you want it for people fruit, you would do well to thin the fruit to only 1 per cluster, while they are still small. Thinning will give you the largest, least blemished fruit.

There are only about 6-7 of these on the whole tree and that’s fine, atleast I know I’m getting somewhere. These are strictly for wildlife

There are only about 6-7 of these on the whole tree and that’s fine, atleast I know I’m getting somewhere. These are strictly for wildlife

OK - Great - you are good to go. When you start getting thousands of them on your "People" fruit trees....then you want to think about thinning the fruit.
IMG_8237.jpg

And hopefully you got the tree protected.

You might want to snip out some of those. The less fruit the young tree produces, the more effort it can put on making a bigger tree for next year. I'd keep a small handful for curiosities sake though.

I got alot of new trees this year. I purchased 2 libetry trees from whitetail crabs in late november. About a 6ft tall tree out of the box. One is loaded with flowers, the other has about 10 or so. They say to let the bees use them up, them snip off the young apple nubs.

I have a trailman and all winter hangover I grafted this spring and have indoor in grow pots. They already had flowers on them.

What trees it that? With young trees you may not get full fruit size or maturity. So, dont get too disappointed if youre not liking what you see this fall.

Last edited:
Third leaf I generally pull all the fruit or almost all so the tree puts on more growth but it’s a difficult decision to make when you want to see how the trees fruit is going to turn out, not quite as hard when you have other larger trees already fruiting. With crabs the darn little trees even first leaf will put out blooms sometimes.

Here is one I planted in 2022. I noticed em all while spraying yesterday . I ended up pulling them off.

Attachments

• D320F094-9AB0-4ADF-93D0-AA54F119AAA1.jpeg
    D320F094-9AB0-4ADF-93D0-AA54F119AAA1.jpeg
    923.4 KB · Views: 33