Couple of photos to share from the weekend

B

BJE80

Went up to finish stand work for the year, check on my winter rye overseeding from last fall in one plot, check on the apple trees and plant oats to use a cover crop to follow up the brassicas from last fall in another plot.

Nothing too exciting but I thought I would share.

Winter rye. You can see where there has been standing water. Pretty typical for our land.

IMG_0942_zps3cbbotre.jpg

IMG_0944_zpspap1a0yd.jpg

IMG_0943_zpskgafjmtf.jpg

Before I planted oats. Of course I forgot my phone when I did plant later in the day. Still pretty wet. No way I was going to be able to pull a disc through here. I sprayed everything and then just used a fence drag harrow to loosen up the soil, broadcast the oats heavy and then re drag to bury them as much as possible. A couple of times I thought I was going to get stuck with the UTV but everything worked out.

IMG_0939_zps4jjinoiz.jpg

IMG_0940_zps69jawo4u.jpg

Apple Trees Look in pretty good shape. Only one looked a little rough but it seems to still be alive and is even making blossoms.

This one looked a little rough.

IMG_0930_zpsyoakyefb.jpg

IMG_0932_zpsxm1zwwzk.jpg

IMG_0935_zps98eimltu.jpg

IMG_0937_zpsvqtwzwjg.jpg

Things are coming alone nicely in the woods along trails I've created.

IMG_0945_zpse9z3jczm.jpg

Well earned Saturday night.

IMG_0948_zpsojovabfj.jpg

You could have left out that last pic! LOL! ;) But regardless of the barley pop of choice, it looks like it was well deserved!

What are the majority of the trees around those plots? Oaks? Or something less desirable such as maple, ash, elm, or box elder? Will the areas directly adjacent to the plots be part of your logging this coming winter?

Some potential for this season. Herd looks in great shape.

EK000314_zpswqqamrxp.jpg

EK000349_zps5vqgmh5y.jpg

70_zpst7qn4qtc.jpg

21_zpsznvz7umr.jpg

55_zpsinez8hvk.jpg

I kinda of like Schlitz now that they have gone back to their old(1960's) formula. It better than the Blatz I have in my fridge now...part of the old Blatz brewery is now part of the campus where I went to college.

What are the majority of the trees around those plots? Oaks? Or something less desirable such as maple, ash, elm, or box elder? Will the areas directly adjacent to the plots be part of your logging this coming winter?

Sugar maple and Ash. There really isn't any mast trees in our area. Oaks like to run their roots deep and that doesn't work well in these soils.

Yes. Both of those areas will be cleared out pretty well making these plots much bigger.

Be careful you guys, that MN crew will start breaking out the Grain Belt and Schmidt. :eek:

Have you been spraying your apple trees? I'm just curious because they look like mine and I have not done it the past couple years.

Have you been spraying your apple trees? I'm just curious because they look like mine and I have not done it the past couple years.

No. I won't spray unless I see a need too. I tried learning about spraying trees and was totally overwhelmed. I just want to kill deer.

Sugar maple and Ash. There really isn't any mast trees in our area. Oaks like to run their roots deep and that doesn't work well in these soils.

Yes. Both of those areas will be cleared out pretty well making these plots much bigger.
I was just curious, because if they were not to be harvested for timber, I would have recommended hinging all of them back within 30 or so feet of the plot edge(kind of an edge feathering affect) to get more light to the ground and possibly help dry it out some. It would have also helped to control entry and exit from the plot if they were lain down in such a way that they created blockages and openings to make the travel more predictable.

Be careful you guys, that MN crew will start breaking out the Grain Belt and Schmidt. :eek:

Any beer, any where, any time.

I was just curious, because if they were not to be harvested for timber, I would have recommended hinging all of them back within 30 or so feet of the plot edge(kind of an edge feathering affect) to get more light to the ground and possibly help dry it out some. It would have also helped to control entry and exit from the plot if they were lain down in such a way that they created blockages and openings to make the travel more predictable.

You can't really tell but I have done a lot but it could use more.

I guess I will take you up on that if I can pull off a trip to Deer Fest in West Bend the first weekend in August.

Nice pics. Any blossoms or beans north of Wausau are in trouble tuesday night.

Yup. I think....... think I am Ok only because they are not exposed yet. Just can see where they are starting to form. If they do freeze I won't cry. I thought about pinching them this year anyway.

Great pics!

Had to drag up this old thread. I'm enjoying some Schell ' s Firebrick.at the airport. Not too bad.

Had to drag up this old thread. I'm enjoying some Schell ' s Firebrick.at the airport. Not too bad.
Are you at Lil' LaX? Or flying into Lil' LaX from somewhere else?

Are you at Lil' LaX? Or flying into Lil' LaX from somewhere else?
Flew into little Lil Lax from St. Louis via Minneapolis. LSE is my airport of choice.

Schell ' s is brewed in New Ulm which made me think of this thread.

Nice pics. As far as Schlitz I was weened on it.

Flew into little Lil Lax from St. Louis via Minneapolis. LSE is my airport of choice.

Schell ' s is brewed in New Ulm which made me think of this thread.
Yeah tickets are a few bucks more, but I can't get it through my in-laws heads that the extra $80-$100 they pay for a flight into LSE doesn't cover my gas and time to run to the Cities or Milwaukee to get them. :rolleyes: :mad: