Corned Venison

R.E. Gould

5 year old buck +
Anyone making corned venison for St. Patrick's Day? I've got mine soaking in the back of the fridge. My brother started making it and gives it rave reviews. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Anyone making corned venison for St. Patrick's Day? I've got mine soaking in the back of the fridge. My brother started making it and gives it rave reviews. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Sounds good, I've done corned beef but I'll have to try the venison, thx.

I've never used venison, but it works really well with goose breast, believe it or not. Tastes like corned beef.

That sounds good. Me likes corned beef! Why not deer.

thanks for sharing.

I've been doing it for years. I use a dry cure.
-5 tbsps morton tender quick
-2 tbsps brown sugar
-2 tbsps pickling spice
Mix ingredients in a bowl. Rub liberally all over a venison roast (neck, shoulder, or 3" thick steaks from rear legs). Put in a zip lock bag, and refrigerate for at least 10 days, maybe a little longer if the roast is really thick. Rinse off and cook. You can just squeeze out the air and freeze it right in the bag if you want to do several for later. Just thaw, rinse and cook.
Makes pretty good pastrami too. Just rinse, coat with black pepper and ground coriander and smoke.

Interesting. I fell asleep last night watching the Bearded Butchers do corned beef n cabbage on youtube.

Pretty interesting youtube channel and they're about 40 minutes from where I live

-2 tbsps brown sugar
-2 tbsps pickling spice
Mix ingredients in a bowl. Rub liberally all over a venison roast (neck, shoulder, or 3" thick steaks from rear legs). Put in a zip lock bag, and refrigerate for at least 10 days, maybe a little longer if the roast is really thick. Rinse off and cook. You can just squeeze out the air and freeze it right in the bag if you want to do several for later. Just thaw, rinse and cook.
Makes pretty good pastrami too. Just rinse, coat with black pepper and ground coriander and smoke.
I do several deer roasts at a time using different spices . I write a on one side and b on the other and flip every day then rinse off and boil for a couple of hours.

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

-2 tbsps brown sugar
-2 tbsps pickling spice

Do you add water or just rub it on? How large of a roast will it do if just rubbing it on?

I just rub it on and refrigerate. that amount should do about 4 lbs. By liberally rub it on, I mean liberally. I toss the extra mix into the bag with the roast so the curing salt can do it's thing. Turn the roast over every couple days, too.

I went the brine route. One venison, one beef. This is all new to me..

E8381F5F-A4A0-4299-84EF-1A9960CF560B.jpeg

I went the brine route. One venison, one beef. This is all new to me..

View attachment 33956

Bill ... will be interesting to hear your comparison of both meats when cooked. Have not done a venison so interested in how it turns out.

Oh heck yeah. That’s good.
I cut the deer roast in half since it’s just my wife and I. The other half is in the freezer. Taste like corned beef to me.
A bit on the salty side but that’s my fault. I cooked it in the brine. I think just fresh water would have been better.

thanks @R.E. Gould for posting. I’ll be doing this again.

DCB0E7A3-7A1B-45F2-84D5-A6FC60818FCB.jpeg