Corded versus cordless tools

b116757

5 year old buck +
I love my cordless tools particularly cordless drills and 1/2” impact drivers but for most other tools I prefer corded tools they are not as handy but for much lower use tools they will still be functional in 25+ years of sitting around the shop where as most cordless tools will most likely be obsolete. Now if I was a contractor the convenience of cordless tools may outway the longevity of corded tools since they will be worn out long before the battery system is obsolete. I recently bought a couple new tin nibblers for doing steel siding/roofing and this got me thinking about this subject again. Even on drills I keep 2 or 3 cheap corded dewalt drills laying around my shop I like to keep them sprinkled around the shop like I do tape measures and hammer's.

Last summer I loaded all my old DeWalt 18 volt tools into a box and gave them to the church rummage sale. I'd replaced many with newer style batteries and didn't know where to get replacement batteries for the 18 volt system. Gave away a couple of saws and drills and chargers. Then I saw that somebody offers aftermarket batteries for them now. lol. Oh well I only use the driver drill now.....and have some corded tools for the more HD jobs.

I still have my Craftsman corded circular saw and drill that my parents bought me at Christmas when I was 10 years old. They still work great and have never given me any problems. The problem with cordless is that the battery design keeps changing forcing you to buy new tools. When a battery costs $80, and you need at least 2, you are almost forced to upgrade to a new tool.

I still use the corded indoors but anything more than 50' from an outlet I use battery. As long as I remembered to charge the battery that is.

I have completely switched over to cordless, the convenience of it is worth it to me. I don't do any big projects anymore or I might look at it differently.

Last summer I loaded all my old DeWalt 18 volt tools into a box and gave them to the church rummage sale. I'd replaced many with newer style batteries and didn't know where to get replacement batteries for the 18 volt system. Gave away a couple of saws and drills and chargers. Then I saw that somebody offers aftermarket batteries for them now. lol. Oh well I only use the driver drill now.....and have some corded tools for the more HD jobs.
Should have held on to them.

I have been updating all my tools with new Milwaukee Fuel. They arent cheap, but they work good, and I am surprised by how long the batteries last. I own and run a small auto repair shop, so all the air tools are being phased out. Unless I am airing up tires, mounting them, or running an air hammer, or air blower, I dont use air anymore. I have recently bought a Milwaukee weed trimmer, leaf blower, and tree trimmer, and saw, and I can weed eat, and leaf blow the grass off of the concrete without charging a battery. I dont use the tree trimmer much, but I have went around and trimmed deer stands without recharging the battery. I figured for these tools that are seasonal, or seldom used, why mess with gas, and carbs.

Hell, I even have a Milwaukee heated jacket I wear inside my hunting coat. Works great, and takes the chill out of you.

We use the Milwaukee cordless at work they are good tools with the exception of the 4” grinder those just don’t work well for some reason we have about 15 of those tools sets so this isn’t a small cross section that I form that opinion on.

Haven't bought anything new in awhile corded. Been lovign the milwaukee 18v stuff. Jig saw, circular saw, drills, shop vac, flashlights, 1/2 impact gun, 3/8 ratchet, hatchet mini chainsaw. Might be getting a sander and a compressor.

Some stuff you rarely use can be corded. Hammer drill for example. Still would want a corded belt and palm sander, table saw, 10 in chopsaw, shopvac, and reciprocating saw. For major drilling jobs, I still like a corded drywall screw gun. Use the corded one to drill pilot holes, use cordless to drill screw in. Like making a deck.

Trying to stay all milwaukee and 18v. May have to buy that 12v pruner though..... Likely never buy a cordless table saw or crosscut chop saw. With the milwaukee ratchet and impact gun, I barely use air tools in the shop to fix cars, etc..... Likely most metal working stuff I won't go cordless. Like angle grinders.

I'm with you. I have some battery stuff but still use my corded chop saw, table saw, heavy duty drills, circular saws etc.

I just ordered a 60V dewalt saw for the Fire Dept. but we will go to battery operated Jaws of life and they use the 60V.

I love battery operated stuff but I just hope the manufactures keep making corded equipment I think both types have there places depending on usage.

I have several of the M12 stuff and I love them. I am going to get the M18 Leaf Blower, trimmer deal they have right now at Blain's. You get and extra attachment, which I'm getting the brush cutter as well. They give pretty good deals to get you into the door and then they have you. But they are good tools for sure. I got the 5 piece M12 set to get into those as well after my wife bought me the heated vest for Christmas. It didn't come with a charger so I had to buy the whole set which came with a charger and 2 batteries so now I have 3 batteries. 🤘