Control of Sweetgum and Yaupon around pond?

Hideaway Acres

Yearling... With promise
I have a lot of small sweetgum and yaupon holly around my 1 acre pond, also some yaupon around a large oak near my well house. What's the most effective way to kill these safely and so they won't come back? Thanks, Dave

Triclopyr by basal spray, hack and squirt, or colors spray.

Is triclopyr approved for use around a pond. I was wanting to kill some willows, but worried about my fish

Is triclopyr approved for use around a pond. I was wanting to kill some willows, but worried about my fish
Good question. My concern as well. Gly has not done well on sweetgum stumps for me. Also have to kill sprouts near my well shelter and don't want to contaminate it.
Thanks in advance!

Based on the label alone, I'd caution against using near water. I'm far from an expert though, so correct me if I'm wrong.

PRECAUTIONS:​

• It is permissible to treat non irrigation ditch banks, seasonally dry wetlands, flood plains, deltas, marshes, swamps, bogs, and transitional areas between upland and lowland sites. Do not apply to open water such as lakes, reservoirs, rivers, streams, creeks, saltwater bays, or estuaries.
1680033044378.png

Environmental Fate
The half-life of triclopyr in soils ranges from 30 to 90 days with a typical time of 46 days

For comparison:
Glyphosate's half-life (the time it takes for half of the active ingredient to degrade) is between 3 days and 19 weeks depending on water conditions. Glyphosate disperses rapidly in water so dilution occurs quickly, thus moving water will decrease concentration, but not half-life.

Based on the label alone, I'd caution against using near water. I'm far from an expert though, so correct me if I'm wrong.

PRECAUTIONS:​

• It is permissible to treat non irrigation ditch banks, seasonally dry wetlands, flood plains, deltas, marshes, swamps, bogs, and transitional areas between upland and lowland sites. Do not apply to open water such as lakes, reservoirs, rivers, streams, creeks, saltwater bays, or estuaries.
View attachment 51170

Environmental Fate
The half-life of triclopyr in soils ranges from 30 to 90 days with a typical time of 46 days

For comparison:
Glyphosate's half-life (the time it takes for half of the active ingredient to degrade) is between 3 days and 19 weeks depending on water conditions. Glyphosate disperses rapidly in water so dilution occurs quickly, thus moving water will decrease concentration, but not half-life.
Thanks blue!!. Previously I had cut many of the Sweetgum and Yaupon sprouts flush with the ground and hand painted them with undiluted Gly. That was about 14-15 months ago during winter here in NW Florida. The yaupon actually was killed pretty good. Now this spring the Sweetgum seems to have just come back stronger than ever with more suckers from the roots. I guess now is not a great time of year to treat them anyway from what I've read. Any other suggestions from those who have experience with these invasives?? Thanks, Dave

Good information--I was wondering about using Tryclopyr around our pond. Any other options? Basal treatment seems the best option, as bank cutting is challenging at best and dangerous when alone.