Compact pickup truck

bueller

Here's the situation. I have a couple small air cooled atv's that I use for plot work and light duty work around the land. They do ok for me but pulling a drag, logs, loaded trailers, etc... is very rough on them. I don't have a tractor or pickup. I thought about getting a utv for work and recreation but they are out of my price range right now. So I'm thinking of getting an older compact pickup truck to use. Looking to spend <$1500. Something like a late 90's or early 2000's Ford ranger or Chevy s10. The other reason a pickup is a better choice than a utv for me right now is because I can use it for when I go fishing or hunting off the property. Right now I take our only ride and the wife is left land locked at the cabin with the kids.

Any models that I should avoid because of known issues or seek out for their reliability?

Last edited:
There are a ton of old ford n tractors out there for $2k or less. They are roughly 20 horse, very reliable, simple and flat out workhorses.
I got sick of hauling my tractor between properties, so I bought a 46 horse international, loader, chains, fluid in tires, live pto, hydraulics for $3500. A little compact tractor would b more reasonable for my small property, but you're not gonna find one for $3500.
Hydraulics are a huge game changer when It comes to tractors and plotting. A no till drill is the bomb!
Imo- Atvs or super expensive utvs are for trail riding and ice fishing. Tractors are made to work! I do really like putting my sprayer on my atv, but that's it.
You'd be amazed how much easier your life would b with a 3 pt disc and n tractor. You can probably pull any log on your property, as well.

Can't recommend what one is best but over a utv I think you're on the right track. If I had it to do over I'd skip the UTV for a little Toyota or something.

If for nothing else a truck is so much quieter. I can hear quads for miles in the AM when I sitting on stand. I'm sure the deer hear it also.

And it has heat and maybe air.

If you could find a Toyota in that vintage for a good price, I think you would have it made. I'm not sure you'll find one in that price range, though.

There are a ton of old ford n tractors out there for $2k or less. They are roughly 20 horse, very reliable, simple and flat out workhorses.
I got sick of hauling my tractor between properties, so I bought a 46 horse international, loader, chains, fluid in tires, live pto, hydraulics for $3500. A little compact tractor would b more reasonable for my small property, but you're not gonna find one for $3500.
Hydraulics are a huge game changer when It comes to tractors and plotting. A no till drill is the bomb!
Imo- Atvs or super expensive utvs are for trail riding and ice fishing. Tractors are made to work! I do really like putting my sprayer on my atv, but that's it.
You'd be amazed how much easier your life would b with a 3 pt disc and n tractor. You can probably pull any log on your property, as well.
Can't take a tractor down to the river or into town.

Can't recommend what one is best but over a utv I think you're on the right track. If I had it to do over I'd skip the UTV for a little Toyota or something.

If for nothing else a truck is so much quieter. I can hear quads for miles in the AM when I sitting on stand. I'm sure the deer hear it also.

And it has heat and maybe air.
I hadn't even thought of the noise, but I'm well aware of the heat ;)

...pulling a drag, logs, loaded trailers, etc... is very rough on them.... an older compact pickup truck to use. Looking to spend <$1500. Something like a late 90's or early 2000's Ford ranger or Chevy s10....

Any models that I should avoid because of known issues or seek out for their reliability?

Are you mechanically inclined enough to fix ball joints and every thing else that is going to break from using an originally cheap vehicle made for pavement that is now old and worn? I have driven a 2000 Ranger everyday since 2002. I think it would be great for what you are looking to do with it, but expect a lot of extra maintenance. I know my many, many miles spent on snowmobile/logging trails and trailering heavy:rolleyes::( loads over the years has caused a lot of maintenance type repairs to have to be done sooner on my little truck.

Are you mechanically inclined enough to fix ball joints and every thing else that is going to break from using an originally cheap vehicle made for pavement that is now old and worn? I have driven a 2000 Ranger everyday since 2002. I think it would be great for what you are looking to do with it, but expect a lot of extra maintenance. I know my many, many miles spent on snowmobile/logging trails and trailering heavy:rolleyes::( loads over the years has caused a lot of maintenance type repairs to have to be done sooner on my little truck.
Good point. I do have some mechanical ability to repair stuff myself but I sure don't miss having an older vehicle with constant issues. My older ATVs, lawnmowers, and other equipment take enough of my time repairing.

On the other hand I would be using this truck for light use 50 acres or so of really flat ground. My trails are all smooth enough to ride a bike on. And it would probably see more hours on pavement in the neighborhood vs the woods.

Agree with the Toyota suggestion.

I have a 95 Toyota Tacoma .... 4wd with 4 cylinder - 5 speed manual transmission with 172,000 ...... will probably sell it at the end of Aug 2016 (roughly 5 months) if you haven't found anything by that time. It's my work-in-the-woods truck. It has a fairly new (6 months) 7-yr battery, fairly new rack-n-pinion, new copper radiator at 100,000, exhaust (18 months ago), new plugs/plug wires/fuel filter (2 months ago) and plenty of rust. However, it will start every day; no matter how cold it gets (and it sits outside). You cannot even buy a Toyota truck with these options today. Oh, and it has air .... it just don't blow cool (probably a leak). 1995 was the first year they built the Tacoma; it is referred to as a 1995 and a half.

I have a 95 Toyota Tacoma .... 4wd with 4 cylinder - 5 speed manual transmission with 172,000 ...... will probably sell it at the end of Aug 2016 (roughly 5 months) if you haven't found anything by that time. It's my work-in-the-woods truck. It has a fairly new (6 months) 7-yr battery, fairly new rack-n-pinion, new copper radiator at 100,000, exhaust (18 months ago), new plugs/plug wires/fuel filter (2 months ago) and plenty of rust. However, it will start every day; no matter how cold it gets (and it sits outside). You cannot even buy a Toyota truck with these options today. Oh, and it has air .... it just don't blow cool (probably a leak). 1995 was the first year they built the Tacoma; it is referred to as a 1995 and a half.
Please let me know when you go to sell it. I never learned to drive stick but now may be the time.

Can't take a tractor down to the river or into town.

Like HECK you can't! I have driven my little 790Deere to the local gas station before! SMV sign and flashing lights and away I went. It was a few miles and I wasn't breaking any land speed records doing it, but I got there!

Keep in mind the difference between a tractor and a small pick-up is being able to put the power to the ground and the actual size of things. I can take the FEL off my little 790 and take it darn near anywhere you can take a quad - except for really steep hills. A truck in the woods makes it seem like it is twice as big as it really is. A tractor is a great little tool in a fairly compact piece of equipment.

I use my tractor like an ATV....I don't even own any sort of an ATV. I walk everywhere I hunt on the property or my buddy has taken a bicycle before. I also had a little ford ranger that I used (wasn't 4 wheel drive) I used to commute to work.....until my boy blew the head gasket in it. That is on the summertime "to do list" is to get it fixed.

Like HECK you can't! I have driven my little 790Deere to the local gas station before! SMV sign and flashing lights and away I went. It was a few miles and I wasn't breaking any land speed records doing it, but I got there!
Ha. I have pulled up to the gas station in town absolutely covered in dust from the sand/gravel roads on my '97 two stroke oil burner.