Cockle burr problem

WKyGasDoc

5 year old buck +
I sprayed a 3.5 acre plot with Gly/ams/crop oil for prep for planting. I noticed this spring had a lot of Cockleburr in it. I went back over it with more Gly and basagran (but had some sprayer issues) some of the plants are smoked, some may be just burned a bit. Some I missed. I had to plant the field anyway and was on time constraint. So it is planted in WW, WR, clover, PTT, rape. Any suggestions on what broadleaf agent I may be able to use this year ? Or just want and see how the last application did, and spray good next year?…..What is a good agent for killing those nasty dudes, and trying to preserve some of the food value this year.

If the cocklebur isn't so thick that it's choking out the good stuff, I would leave it this year and start dealing with it next year. Cocklebur is an annual, and it must come back from seed every year. Over the next few years you can eliminate it by mowing a few weeks before it makes viable seed. Mowing works well with grains and clovers, but obviously not with brassicas. I would just skip the brassicas for a few years until you get the cocklebur under control.

But if you have a horrible problem with it this year, I would overseed more grains and scalp the ground with mowing. At this point in the fall, both the grains you plant and the ones existing will come back, but the cocklebur will not. Good luck.

24d

I've got burdock in one of my plots. I thought I was going to outsmart it and not do anything. That hasn't worked so far. I could barely mow it down with the POS goat I had. Next year I'm planning to go out with the machete and handle it a few times to see if I can't get it canopied before it comes back. I did throw a hot rate of calcitic lime on it this year, so maybe that'll pull back on it's competitive advantage.

I sprayed a 3.5 acre plot with Gly/ams/crop oil for prep for planting. I noticed this spring had a lot of Cockleburr in it. I went back over it with more Gly and basagran (but had some sprayer issues) some of the plants are smoked, some may be just burned a bit. Some I missed. I had to plant the field anyway and was on time constraint. So it is planted in WW, WR, clover, PTT, rape. Any suggestions on what broadleaf agent I may be able to use this year ? Or just want and see how the last application did, and spray good next year?…..What is a good agent for killing those nasty dudes, and trying to preserve some of the food value this year.

So what did you decide to do?

I have a major problem with them also. I think next year I will leave 1/2 the field fallow a spray a couple of times and keep it mowed. I hope I can kill them on that half then rotate to the other half the following year. This will allow me to also spot spray the plants in the non-fallow side. The problem is my neighbors pastures are loaded so every coon, fox, yote and deer are dropping seed in my field so it may be a loosing battle.