Clover Alfalfa Care

CentralKyHunter

5 year old buck +
transitioned some annual plots to a red clover alfalfa mix this spring. Got a good stand & mowed today to knock the milkweed & chiggers down. Has some grass but not bad, should I hit it with Clethodium now?

My approach to Clethodim in the Spring/Summer is "it never hurts and can't do anything but good".

In theory, cleth should only affect the grasses. So I am sure it's fine. If your still concerned give it a couple of days so the alfalfa recovers a bit and then go to town.

I would certainly use Clethodium because if your are not baling the Alfalfa you are likely to have a hard time keeping it going. I have posted several times about how hard it is to do. I suggest you mow it more frequently than a 28 day schedule if you were going to bale it. It does not do well with a heavy thatch after bushoging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would certainly use Clethodium because if your are not baling the Alfalfa you are likely to have a hard time keeping it going. I have posted several times about how hard it is to do. I suggest you mow it more frequently than a 28 day schedule if you were going to bale it. It does not do well with a heavy thatch after bushoging.

I have always been told the same thing in the alfalfa. Hope to keep it cut good but you know how plans go!!

Can alfalfa just be left to grow with only the deer to " mow " it ?? Our plot is mixed with red clover and some timothy.

Usually only on a small plot, alfalfa is very prolific. In the end, only your deer can answer that. Put up an exclusion cage to monitor usage, that way you can see the level they are keeping it "mowed". Then you will know if you need to do any extra maintenance.

I have a 3 yo alfalfa/mix clover/chicory plot. Deer keep it trimmed pretty well. I mow when weeds dictate which usually about every 2 months. I also mow at about a foot high to keep from too heavy clippings smothering. Run bush hog as high speed as possible. I spray Cleth in spring. Fert in fall and ck your Boron, adding it can make a diff with alfalfa if needed. Best if soil ph is close to 7. Makes great ridge top plots that tend to be hot and dry. Eventually, the clover will probably overtake the alfalfa. I have about 40% alfalfa with rest clover and chicory and some good weeds. I did not use RR alfalfa.

I have a 3 yo alfalfa/mix clover/chicory plot. Deer keep it trimmed pretty well. I mow when weeds dictate which usually about every 2 months. I also mow at about a foot high to keep from too heavy clippings smothering. Run bush hog as high speed as possible. I spray Cleth in spring. Fert in fall and ck your Boron, adding it can make a diff with alfalfa if needed. Best if soil ph is close to 7. Makes great ridge top plots that tend to be hot and dry. Eventually, the clover will probably overtake the alfalfa. I have about 40% alfalfa with rest clover and chicory and some good weeds. I did not use RR alfalfa.

Hey Dogghr,

Where do you get our Boron? You have a local co-op, or what? Any problems with insects and the alfalfa? Last, how large of a plot are you keeping? I guess Wiscwhip reminded me that a small plot may be easier than a larger one.

Really depends on your deer density and if the deer feel safe feeding in the plot. If you have few deer and a roadside plot, you will likely need to keep maintenance up, because the deer might not. As for boron, go to your local store and pick up a box or 2 of 20 Mule Team Borax from the laundry detergent aisle.

Really depends on your deer density and if the deer feel safe feeding in the plot. If you have few deer and a roadside plot, you will likely need to keep maintenance up, because the deer might not. As for boron, go to your local store and pick up a box or 2 of 20 Mule Team Borax from the laundry detergent aisle.

Have done that but how much do you mix per acre with fertilizer to help alfalfa? I have grown a lot of alfalfa for hay without it but my tests show I could use a little.

I would put on whatever the soil test shows. Many times it is only 2 or 3 lbs per acre. It should be a straight pound for pound ratio with the 20 Mule Team. Last I knew it was basically straight boron? Unless something in it has changed?

As said you can use Borax. Mix n w your fert as a medium and spread. My coop also sells a fert that has boron but it has low amount of N which I don't really want but I have used it. I think it is 5-15-15-.5. Requirements are usually low for Boron amounts. Ck soil test and talk to your county agent. Here's pic of my alfalfa clover chicory weed mix.
7347b75ee3b512b79e5c13dcd07068f2.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk