Close call today at the bear bait site

ruskbucks

5 year old buck +
So my friend that is bear hunting on my land went up to set his stand and bait. I have spartan cell cams at both sites. I get a alert on cam and think it is him setting stand, no it's a good size bear in the bait site. I let him know not to go out there yet. His response is" we are both watching the same bear right now" it is in the bait right now and won't leave. Next text is " he's right underneath me snapping his teeth" any ideas? Any ideas? Any ideas for the third time he sends. I tell him to stay quiet and said I hope you brought your bear spray or a gun. He says " no, I'm a idiot I forgot it at home". I'm witnessing this from 300 miles away thru my cell cam and his text. He then sends a text that he was throwing sticks and standing up yelling and swearing at it and it didn't care and was just looking at him and snorting! Well the bear finally left and he made it out sunscathed. I told him to go change his underwear and call me. He was still shook up when he called said he was going to town to get a shotgun or bear spray before he baits. Said he is still shaking.

Attachments

• 1489277439.jpg
    1489277439.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 123
So my friend that is bear hunting on my land went up to set his stand and bait. I have spartan cell cams at both sites. I get a alert on cam and think it is him setting stand, no it's a good size bear in the bait site. I let him know not to go out there yet. His response is" we are both watching the same bear right now" it is in the bait right now and won't leave. Next text is " he's right underneath me snapping his teeth" any ideas? Any ideas? Any ideas for the third time he sends. I tell him to stay quiet and said I hope you brought your bear spray or a gun. He says " no, I'm a idiot I forgot it at home". I'm witnessing this from 300 miles away thru my cell cam and his text. He then sends a text that he was throwing sticks and standing up yelling and swearing at it and it didn't care and was just looking at him and snorting! Well the bear finally left and he made it out sunscathed. I told him to go change his underwear and call me. He was still shook up when he called said he was going to town to get a shotgun or bear spray before he baits. Said he is still shaking.
Haha, you can see he has 2 cans of bear spray now. One on each hip.

Attachments

• 1489377494.jpg
    1489377494.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 121
I have a friend that was bear hunting with a bow. He shot it almost straight below his stand, the bear ran up his tree, above his stand, and he said it drained blood on him for about 5 minutes, and he said it was starting to get wobbly and he then realized if it falls it is going to take him and his tree stand out, so he got down, and then the bear started climbing down and died in his tree stand. He had sent me pictures of it laying in his stand. He said it was more of a rush then sky diving.

If I do bear hunt, I will rifle hunt it.

I have a friend that was bear hunting with a bow. He shot it almost straight below his stand, the bear ran up his tree, above his stand, and he said it drained blood on him for about 5 minutes, and he said it was starting to get wobbly and he then realized if it falls it is going to take him and his tree stand out, so he got down, and then the bear started climbing down and died in his tree stand. He had sent me pictures of it laying in his stand. He said it was more of a rush then sky diving.

If I do bear hunt, I will rifle hunt it.
Wow, that's wild! I bet he pooped his pants too the second that thing started comming up the tree.

Yikes!! Glad he is ok

Last year when I was hunting I chased a bear out of my bait on opening day (cam times). My gun was sitting in the case in the truck and I was carrying 4 full 5 gallon pails of bait. I didnt have good enough service to know there was a bear on my bait. I was parking my truck about 100 yards from the bait and carrying it in. When I came over the edge of a little hill I was only 25-30 yards away from one on the bait. Good encounter to get the blood flowing before I dropped the hammer around 815pm that evening. This one slowly went into the brush and I quickly rebait, got the heck back to the truck and drove a little ways down the road and ran back to jump in the stand.

SYEW0911.JPGSYEW0912.JPGSYEW0913.JPG

Then this spring my nephew and I encountered a sow with 3-4 cubs on my land. First we walked up on them by one of my bedding area. They took off, then one of the yearling cubs heads right back our direction grunting and snorting headed in my nephews direction. I think it got lost from the group. I had to intervene on that one. After that was over we waited a few mins and decided to head out of the woods and get lunch. The bears only went 40-50 yards away from the first encounter and decided to climb the best tree on my property (big red oak). She was grunting and snorting and grinding her teeth. We took a few pics and videos and left them be. Unarmed again...

IMG_9513.JPGIMG_9519.JPG

I haven't experienced walking up on them in the bait yet, I know that day is coming. I had 2 cubs come in once, the sow I think somehow knew I was there. The cubs came in but the sow stayed about 75 yards from me raised up on her hind legs and pounced on a brush pile I had. I believe She was warning the cubs, but they didn't listen.She did this probably 10 times while making a grunting noise. She then ran full speed toward me but still 40 yards away. The cubs took off like bullets. I think they knew they were going to get their ass beat by mom.

I went archery bear hunting in Canada probably 10 years ago, give or take. The border agent had a hard time believing that I did not have a firearm with me, only my bow. LOL First night I asked the guide what to do if a bear climbed the tree I was in, he said just make a lot of noise, the bear will back down EVENTUALLY! The first night in a stand I had a younger bear get run up a tree close to my stand by another bear..... that was close enough.

I walked in on one on my deer bait in WV one time. Fortunately it didn't like me being there as much as I didn't like it being there.

A little update on how the bear hunt went. My friend was running late opening morning and wouldn't be able to sit till 10a.m. I saw on my Spartan that there was bears in both sites at 6:30 a.m. one was really nice. He went out at 10 and had a ok bear come in at 11:30 he was just watching. At 12 a slightly bigger bear came in with another bear that stayed out a ways. The second bear ran the first one off. He took this bear. It was right in the middle sizewise., with 5 other bears that were bigger. Dressed out it weighed #210 so we figure about #250 or so. I was hopeful he would of shot the bear that he had the run in with but this wasn't the one.

Attachments

• 44427.jpeg
    44427.jpeg
    440.8 KB · Views: 33
That's a nice Rusk County bear, nice work.

My dad bagged on opening day on my Rusk County place as well.