Cloning a plum tree from root suckers

Telemark

5 year old buck +
This summer (early June), I dug up some root suckers from my sister in law's plum tree and planted them in a new plum orchard I am making. Success was poor. Only two or three of about 8 trees survived.

The tree is about 60 years old, and her uncle cloned the tree from a root sucker about 12 years ago. So the tree seems to be a seedling or a grafted tree planted deep enough to put out its own roots. The plums are sweet and delicious when ripe, with purple skin and dark yellow flesh. Very vigorous tree.

I want to transplant more of the root suckers, but I need some advice. When should I dig them up and move them? Will I be more successful in winter, or will all the energy from the suckers go into the main roots of the tree?

Successes:

20190725_121129.jpg20190725_121101.jpg

Plums:

Attachments

• 20190814_145202.jpg
    20190814_145202.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20190814_145211.jpg
    20190814_145211.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20190814_145317.jpg
    20190814_145317.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 8
I usually gather root suckers as soon as the frost goes out of the ground in spring and replant them right away in the ground or in pots. As long as they have enough roots of their own, they pretty much always survive, provided that I water them regularly.

I think it would also work to gather them after the tree goes dormant in the fall, but I haven't tried that so far.

In spots that I am going to plant them in the spring, I spray glyphosate in three foot diameter areas in the fall, so there are no live grass roots in the ground for larva to feed on, as they will also feed on tree roots while they are there.

How dare you use such an old fashioned method of fruit propigation…..:emoji_laughing:

Spring or fall while still dormant will work...…...

I mean, if it helps, I can graft to some of them.

How dare you use such an old fashioned method of fruit propigation…..:emoji_laughing:

Spring or fall while still dormant will work...…...

You reckon they will have enough energy in the little bit of root they have to come back next Spring?

I usually gather root suckers as soon as the frost goes out of the ground in spring and replant them right away in the ground or in pots. As long as they have enough roots of their own, they pretty much always survive, provided that I water them regularly.

I think it would also work to gather them after the tree goes dormant in the fall, but I haven't tried that so far.

In spots that I am going to plant them in the spring, I spray glyphosate in three foot diameter areas in the fall, so there are no live grass roots in the ground for larva to feed on, as they will also feed on tree roots while they are there.

Ok I will try bit of both. I am on the Atlantic coast, so the ground almost never freezes. I will spray this week and move the suckers when they go dormant.

I mean, if it helps, I can graft to some of them.

You reckon they will have enough energy in the little bit of root they have to come back next Spring?

I've done plums from root sprouts and never had a problem.