Chiggers and Ticks

Are chiggers and/or ticks worst this year?

• Yes--both seem worse so far

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • About the same

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • No--I've notices them less so far

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • I live too far north for chiggers

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Ticks worse, chiggers not worse

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Chiggers worse, ticks not worse

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

5 year old buck +
It's already been a brutal chigger year. With the generally mild winter and no late freeze, the chiggers seem to have gotten a head start. The ticks are about normal from my observation, but my wife thinks they are worse this year. I just finished mixing a gallon of Permethrin for my work cloths, the deer blinds and chicken coop.

What do you guys do to try to protect yourself from these parasites? What seems to work best? I need advice

What do you guys do to try to protect yourself from these parasites? What seems to work best? I need advice

Ticks are out of control. Pulled 4 off me yesterday and I was on an excavator all day

• Wow
Reactions: 356
We transported a guy early this morning that I may be surprised if he makes it due to infection from a tick bite he got 3 weeks ago.They are about the same on my place,terrible.

Permethrin 0.5% on my clothing and 0.25% on the yard. I also apply DEET to exposed skin.

I feel we are lucky on ticks based on your experiences. Walking in tall grass now it's unlikely to get a tick. I know I'm gambling but I'm not even wearing permethrin treated clothes now. If I have a task in a bad spot, I do still have fully treated clothes to wear. I buy the concentrate and soak clothing in the garage to let it dry in the shade. By the fumes, I'd guess not much is breathing in my garage either.

I used permethrin on my socks and pants 2 weeks ago (washed since). I couldn't remember which shirt I wore then and it was too late to spray it and dry. For that reason, I used the Sawyers blue can up top and down low. I found one on my calf and one on my butt today. I figured the blue can might work for ticks, but now I'm not so sure. In terms of the poll, ticks have been horrible for at least the last 5 years, but probably more. I pulled them off my jacket in January when it was 20F.

I wonder why they are becoming more and more of a problem?

finally warm.jpeg

Reactions: 356
Several articles about how an increase in acorns cause more mice which cause more Lyme disease. Just google..... How acorns cause Lyme or how acorns increase ticks. I just found it interesting

Ove heard soaking cotton balls in permethrin and stringing them out in the woods helps with that. Mice put them in their nests and it kills the the ticks and fleas.

This am…leaving my farm, opened gate, closed gate, turned water off at the meter right off the gravel, pulled three off me when I got in the truck. That was the only time I was outside this am. It’s horrible

For some reason chiggers leave me alone, but ticks are another matter. My oldest son however, is a chigger magnet. If there’s one in the county, it’s coming his way !

For some reason chiggers leave me alone, but ticks are another matter. My oldest son however, is a chigger magnet. If there’s one in the county, it’s coming his way !
Same, it’s crazy my dad and buddy get tore up by chiggers. I don’t think I’ve ever had them

I think chiggers bite everyone, just not everyone has a massive 2 week long massive marathon itchy response to the bite. Kind of like not everyone is allergic to poison ivy.

You haven’t lived til you’ve had a chigger bite on your scro….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Omg I got poison ivy all over the nether regions in college right during the timing of my cousin's wedding. 2.5 solid days of nonstop activities. I had to itch constantly. Didn't even care after a while, just kept scratching myself. I think it's made me immune to getting poison ivy nowadays.