Chestnuts

H20fwler

5 year old buck +
Chestnuts are just starting to drop here.
Picked these off the ground a few minutes ago.
I will direct seed them into shrub strips later this fall.

IMG_8275.jpeg
IMG_8273.jpeg
IMG_8276.jpeg

And I love to see this!
Will drop a cage around him soon.
IMG_8274.jpeg

Our Dunstans should start dropping in a couple weeks, not as many burrs on them this year as the Chinese.

Our Dunstans should start dropping in a couple weeks, not as many burrs on them this year as the Chinese.
FYI. Dunstans are Chinese.

Chinese crossed with American
They DNA tested it and it's over 99% Chinese. To me it's not even worth mentioning that it's a cross, because it has no American traits.

They DNA tested it and it's over 99% Chinese. To me it's not even worth mentioning that it's a cross, because it has no American traits.

Take it up with Chestnut Hill, they will disagree.
But thanks for highjacking the thread!

I'm really jealous you are getting that many. It will be a significant milestone to be able to do the same someday. Do most of your Chinese drop while still in the bur?

Have you had your nuts DNA tested yet?

I'm really jealous you are getting that many. It will be a significant milestone to be able to do the same someday. Do most of your Chinese drop while still in the bur?

Sometimes the burr opens all the way while on the branch and some burrs start to split then burr and all drops to ground and opens all the way up on ground.
The ones I picked up this morning were probably 50/50? There were plenty of open empty burrs still attached to the branches.

I just circle the trees and try to pick up some from each tree. I did notice rabbits or squirrels had been eating a lot up.

Sometimes the burr opens all the way while on the branch and some burrs start to split then burr and all drops to ground and opens all the way up on ground.
The ones I picked up this morning were probably 50/50? There were plenty of open empty burrs still attached to the branches.

I just circle the trees and try to pick up some from each tree. I did notice rabbits or squirrels had been eating a lot up.
That’s close to what I see too.

And, I’m sure deer swallow lots of chestnuts whole but I also find many chewed up hulls on the ground.

That’s close to what I see too.

And, I’m sure deer swallow lots of chestnuts whole but I also find many chewed up hulls on the ground.
I think the same!
I see deer eat acorns whole and some big crabapples…I’m sure hoping they are enjoying the chestnuts.

I think the same!
I see deer eat acorns whole and some big crabapples…I’m sure hoping they are enjoying the chestnuts.
I have one more question. Nearly all of my chestnuts look about the same size as the ones you show above. However I have one tree that makes much bigger nuts. It’s supposed to be a Chinese seedling. See pic below. Are you seeing any this large on any of your trees?
IMG_4799.jpeg

I def get variation tree to tree of size

I have one more question. Nearly all of my chestnuts look about the same size as the ones you show above. However I have one tree that makes much bigger nuts. It’s supposed to be a Chinese seedling. See pic below. Are you seeing any this large on any of your trees?
View attachment 68593

This year I’m just getting slightly smaller nuts overall, I think it is from the lack of rain and crazy temp swings. Last year most of the nuts seemed bigger.
Could your tree making the larger nuts be a little different strain or be getting nutrients/moisture different than the others?

My buddy that has a nice chestnut orchard five miles from me has his planted on a slope along the river in a sandier area. He got them same time and place I did and his trees have grown better and seem to throw bigger nuts.

Question for you gentlemen. I was thinking maybe not picking up early drop chestnuts and maybe wait and try to pick up nuts that are the latest dropping tree and even the latest dropping nuts. Has anyone tried this or does anyone think it could help push a later drop time on new trees?

Question for you gentlemen. I was thinking maybe not picking up early drop chestnuts and maybe wait and try to pick up nuts that are the latest dropping tree and even the latest dropping nuts. Has anyone tried this or does anyone think it could help push a later drop time on new trees?
It's probably not going to change within a tree. In theory, if you were to pick up nuts from the latest dropping tree and constantly plant those next to other late flowering/dropping trees, you would eventually select for a tree that drops nuts later. Chestnuts are open air pollinated and are not true to the parent. It helps to create unique offspring, but it makes it a challenge to predict what those offspring are going to be. There are absolutely differences in drop times. You can find some peer-reviewed research papers out there that have probably been published in yours or a neighboring state. That is where I would start. Use the reputable work of other people first.

For me here chestnuts are like acorns, they drop for about two-three weeks and they are done.
Straight Chinese seem easiest for me to grow and best DR and price. Dunstans drop a week or two later for me than the Chinese.

I am big into direct seeding , doing the potted starting them thing was a lot of work and a lot didn’t make it all the way.
I get maybe 2-3% success rate with direct seeding and I’m fine with that. Every year now it seems I find one or two that have made it, then I screen and cage them and trim the low stuff off a year or so later. Not much effort at all with results I like.

This year I’m just getting slightly smaller nuts overall, I think it is from the lack of rain and crazy temp swings. Last year most of the nuts seemed bigger.
Could your tree making the larger nuts be a little different strain or be getting nutrients/moisture different than the others?

My buddy that has a nice chestnut orchard five miles from me has his planted on a slope along the river in a sandier area. He got them same time and place I did and his trees have grown better and seem to throw bigger nuts.
I think the nutrients and moisture are about the same. I feel that the tree likely has some different genes.

Mine are huge this year....... AC/DC nuts

"Ive got the biggest "NUTs' of all"

bill

Check out the wildlife group. They have some hybrids grown at auburn under the AU Buck name. AU Buck 3 and 4 drop into November and December. Also have some gobbler varieties that drop smaller nuts.

I love DCO and Allegheny chinkapins too.