Chestnut stratification pit storage

Skinner

Yearling... With promise
I think this is a really good alternative to storing in the fridge if you want to plant seeds directly outdoors, whether containerized or direct seeding in the spring.

This method is well documented for Black Walnuts https://www.ncrs.fs.fed.us/pubs/wn/wn_1_02.pdf

as well as by Akiva Silver, who grows thousands of Chestnut seedlings every year.

Dig a hole, stick a bucket in it with the bottom cut out and replaced with hardware cloth.
pit storage.JPG
I am layering them and ID'ing them with some shims so I know what does best here. I am storing them in play sand. Saw dust also works well. I also think something like 50/50 peat perlite would do well.
firstlayer.JPG
secondlayer.JPG
thirdlayer.JPG

I have a bunch of additional seeds that should get here in the next few weeks from Red Fern Farm and Route 9 Cooperative. I am trying Dunstan, Mossbarger, Gideon, Qing, Luvall's Monster, Szego, Kohr, Kintzel, Peach and just a mixture from Route 9.

Before any hard frosts I will mulch deep with a bale of hay.

Route 9 just charged my card today, if I remember correctly from last year they should be shipping within a few days. I ordered them roughly a month ago.

I did this with a slightly damp potting mix last year with 100% mold on chestnut but good success with hazelnut in the same bucket FYI. Trying a different medium this year

I did this with a slightly damp potting mix last year with 100% mold on chestnut but good success with hazelnut in the same bucket FYI. Trying a different medium this year

That stinks. I may try stratifying some seed from the same source in the fridge to compare mold rates. I really want to avoid the fridge because I think the radicles will be 2-3 inches long by the time I can plant them in late April or early May.

It also seems how the seeds are handled between harvest and starting stratification may really matter. The seeds I ordered from Red Fern Farm came from the Missouri Agroforestry Orchard... so really good genes but they will have been on quite a trip from Missouri-Iowa-NY. On top of that I got a call that there are weevils in some of the seeds, so I think I will use an immersion cooker to kill the larvae. Although everything I have read says that really should have been done within 1-2 days of harvesting, so the damage may be done. Anyway, it makes me wonder if these seeds are going to end up with mold problems.

I’m splitting thing up this year to hedge my bets for sure, felt like a whole year was wasted.

Just a quick update, I put another 2lb of "timber hybrid" experimental seeds from route 9 - 83 seeds in the bucket. On top of that another 40 seeds of their "Chinese mix". I am keeping 128 of the Chinese seed to stratify in slightly moist peat moss in the fridge. That will be one source of direct comparison of mold rates and radicle length in the spring. I covered the bucket with a stone and a bale of straw.

IMG_1141.JPG

I am debating whether I should put the fridge seed in peat moss today or wait to try to delay germination. I still have more seed coming so I may do that comparison with a different batch. I did read some old threads on here with the user BigEight having success with delaying germination, but I couldn't find any final update on how well it worked for him.

The seed from Route 9 is really nice looking by the way.

Update

I haven't checked the buckets yet but it looks like every single seed I put in the fridge has sprouted. They were stored in damp peat moss.

I was paranoid about the ones that came from the Missouri Agroforestry station via Red Fern farm.. I think subjected to temps down in the 10Fs during shipping, the basal area looked moldy when I got them, but everything has sprouted that I can see.

I will check the pits very soon. I am going to start direct seeding the ones in the fridge today.

I wanted to pot up everything, but still need to order pots from Stuewe. I may end up having to plant them in raised beds of peat and vermiculite and then bare root them this fall. Although still not sure what I will do with them all if I end up with 1200 chestnut trees.

Attachments

• chestnut seed.jpg
    chestnut seed.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 12
I'm not sure I completely follow the logic here. If I were going to direct seed, I'd simply plant them in the fall in the final location and protect them. I'd just plant 2 or 3 nuts per hole to cover those that don't germinate. In the spring I'd select the best one in the tube or cage and cull the rest. The reason we use the fridge for cold stratification is for starting nuts indoors under lights in a root pruning container system in the winter. This method increases the growing season that first year and allows you to cull at each stage, nuts that don't float, nuts that don't germinate, small or ill-formed seedlings when transplanting from 18s to 1 gals, and sub-par seedlings when transplanting from 1 gal to 3 gal. With this method, you can be planting a 6' trees after the first season: http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.p...h-rootmakers-transfered-from-qdma-forum.5556/.

There is nothing wrong with direct seeding and it may work better in arid environments, but what is the advantage of cold stratifying them at one location and planting them at another? It seems to me that cold stratifying them together risks mold propagation. There are things we can do to minimize this but it is still a risk. This risk may be worth it using the winter start method because of the advantages of root pruning and culling. With the burred bucket method, you have a longer (and later) cold stratification time as temperature varies a bit depending on climate.

For the guys that use the buried bucket method, what advantages do you find over simply direct seeding in the fall?

Thanks,

Jack

Jack, for not direct seeding in the fall I mainly am just going off recommendations from Route 9 and Red Fern Farm which are two of the most successful growers in the US. They say direct seeding is an expensive way to feed wildlife. In our area we also will get up to -20F some winters, and without snow cover I was worried that would kill the seed.

I am going to direct seed now in the hope that less time in the ground means less likelihood that they get eaten. If they do get eaten, I will have plenty in pots to replace them. If they are inferior seedlings I will replace with potted backup seedlings. If I had issues with mold during stratification I would not be direct seeding anything.

The rootmaker system looks awesome, but I don't want to spend that kind of money per tree, I'm ok with waiting a couple extra years. Once I have planted out my fields I may give it a shot for having replacement trees ready for when some trees inevitably die.

This is my first year stratifying chestnuts. I got seed from 5 sources and am experimenting with different storage methods to hedge risk and learn if some ways are better than others.

I did take a peak in a bucket/pit and the first seed I pulled only had ~1/2 radical, so they are further behind the fridge which is a good thing for me.

Jack, for not direct seeding in the fall I mainly am just going off recommendations from Route 9 and Red Fern Farm which are two of the most successful growers in the US. They say direct seeding is an expensive way to feed wildlife. In our area we also will get up to -20F some winters, and without snow cover I was worried that would kill the seed.

I am going to direct seed now in the hope that less time in the ground means less likelihood that they get eaten. If they do get eaten, I will have plenty in pots to replace them. If they are inferior seedlings I will replace with potted backup seedlings. If I had issues with mold during stratification I would not be direct seeding anything.

The rootmaker system looks awesome, but I don't want to spend that kind of money per tree, I'm ok with waiting a couple extra years. Once I have planted out my fields I may give it a shot for having replacement trees ready for when some trees inevitably die.

This is my first year stratifying chestnuts. I got seed from 5 sources and am experimenting with different storage methods to hedge risk and learn if some ways are better than others.

I did take a peak in a bucket/pit and the first seed I pulled only had ~1/2 radical, so they are further behind the fridge which is a good thing for me.

Thanks. I wonder how well chestnuts will do in climates where the nuts will not germinate and grow buried in a couple inches of soil. I'm not suggesting folks should use a root pruning system. Direct seeding has advantages including cost. In order for seed to cold stratify, it needs to be above freezing with sufficient but not too much moisture. If the temperature gets below freezing and stays there, the nuts go into a suspended animation. I know guys who have stored chestnuts in the freezer with no added moisture and get them to germinate a year or two later. So regardless of air temperature, if the temperature an inch below the soil gets cold enough to kill a nut, I've got to wonder how trees will perform.

Maybe it is a moisture issue. Perhaps your winters are so cold that soil temp an inch or two deep goes from freezing to too warm so quickly that nuts can't cold stratify naturally. Most of the expense in direct seeding comes from protection, not seed cost. Here, if you bury the tree tube an inch deep, it is enough to protect the nuts from squirrels as well as the seedlings from deer. Maybe you have to take additional costly measures to protect seed that we don't. I would think the most expensive way to plant chestnuts for wildlife is to plant bare root seedlings or non-root pruned containerized trees. You have the high cost of trees compared to nuts and the higher planting costs. At lest here, you still have the same protection cost.

Both the root pruning container and direct seeding have their own advantages and disadvantages. Actually, the fewer trees you plant, the more expensive a root pruning system is. I did a quick cost analysis before I started. The setup cost is fairly high, but after 5 years or so of reuse, my cost per tree is negligible (if you don't count your labor) compared to the cost of protecting the trees. For chestnuts, I just use tree tubes and that seems to be efficient here. I'm not doing much with chestnuts these days. After planting a few hundred, I moved on to other tree varieties for my permaculture habitat component. Lately, I've been grafting apples to M111 and growing them in the root pruning containers for a season before planting them in the field. They get great care and feeding on my deck. Since I'm mostly using clonal rootstock now (I'm now done with using seedlings for full size apples), there are not tap roots to prune. So, I can skip the first steps and go directly to 3 gal RB2s.

My Rootmaker containers have seen a lot of service over the years. In a few years I'll be done with growing trees and I'll sell them. That will further reduce my cost per tree.

Best of luck with your stratification. Keep us posted on how it all works for you!

Thanks,

Jack

I use a small fridge that my daughter had in a college dorm for chestnuts,etc

Easy to monitor temps and moisture in zip lock bags with 20 nuts/bag

Allow ~90 days for stratification and then get going!!!!

bill

I can see how guys in the south may not have enough cold stratification days to direct seed in the fall, so it makes sense that they might need to use a fridge to cold stratify seed and then direct seed in the spring.

Bill, you probably know this, but one year Wayne and I did a comparison. I cold stratified my nuts for 60 days and he did it for 90 but otherwise we handled our nuts the same way. He got germination rates above 90% and mine were in the 70% range. The take-away is this. If you objective is to maximize the head-start starting trees indoors, buy at least 30% more nuts than you need. If you are not in a hurry to get trees started, you will get significantly better germination rates cold stratifying for 90 days rather than 60.

I know a guy in Tx that has a climate that allows him to cold stratify in the fridge and then germinate nuts and grow them in a root pruning container system for a year all outside. I guess like most things, location makes a dilfference.

Thanks,

Jack

I usually order from chestnut ridge of pike county late october(5 lbs)

Then soak them in water for 24 hrs and into the fridge

I seed them outdoors in RM18s first week of february and follow the schedule Jack has outlined in previous posts

Growing trees from seed is an absolute addiction

"I insist on being present when they are born"
Dr John Hammond Jurassic Park ~1993

bill

Here in GA we do not have consistent enough temps to cold stratify them in the ground, so I did them in the fridge for 90 days. While I have potted some, think I am going to change gears and direct seed all but 10 of them.

Here in GA we do not have consistent enough temps to cold stratify them in the ground, so I did them in the fridge for 90 days. While I have potted some, think I am going to change gears and direct seed all but 10 of them.

I think the best approach really depends on your situation. If you live far from your property and can't provide regular care, direct seeded trees can be quite slow. The put a lot of energy in developing the tap root. You end up with a root system that is much deeper and covers more area but is much less dense and efficient in the uptake of water and nutrients withing its reach. Using a root pruning container system can produce much larger trees much faster. Some of this is because you can cull at each stage and are using very best trees. Some of it is because they can get optimal water and nutrients conveniently when grown at home on your deck or yard. And some of it is because root pruning provides more energy to the tree maximizing growth.

The down side of using a root pruning container system is that, while the root system is much for efficient, it has less reach. So, if you are in an arid region and can't provide supplemental water in the field when needed during establishment, no matter how efficient the root system is, if there is no water within reach, you've got a problem.

In my area, we get pretty dependable spring and fall rain. I've learned that, for the best results, I need to wait until trees fill a 3 gal RB2 before planting them in the field. At this point, they get sufficient rain in the spring, and because trees from a root pruning system begin to grow immediately, unlike bare root seedlings, when planted in a small hole, by summer, the lateral roots have penetrated deep enough into my native clay that retains water well.

I've tried both methods, and here, I get the best results from starting under lights in the winter using a root pruning container system rather than direct seeding. That may not be the best method for areas that are more arid or more prone to drought.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack,

This past year's class was my first year to defer field transplant until seedlings reach 3 gal RB2 after reading your posts

They all went into the ground january

Time will tell re:results

Will post my results at a later date in an effort to contribute and perhaps add to the thread

bill

Jack,

This past year's class was my first year to defer field transplant until seedlings reach 3 gal RB2 after reading your posts

They all went into the ground january

Time will tell re:results

Will post my results at a later date in an effort to contribute and perhaps add to the thread

bill

I don't provide supplemental water to mine. With my climate, most trees that filled 1 gals survived and eventually did ok, but those whose roots filled 3 gals flourished. I'm guessing it is because they were bigger and stronger to start with and the fact that the root system has significantly larger reach so when we get dry spells that trees are stressed less. In time, if they are not over-stressed by dry spells, the 1 gals eventually develop enough reach to do OK.

Thanks,

Jack

.......Which is why i went to 3 gal in hopes of duplicating your success

Another tip that worked in my region was planting seedlings on north and east facing sandy/loam slopes

bill

94F6DCCD-3F4F-4095-B0D4-FBA8481B9514.jpegSuccess this year using straight sand, seems to be no mold on the top at least. Gonna build a protected grow bed as there are way too many to pot them all up.

If you plan to build something to grow them outdoors for a season, check into a Missouri Gravel Bed. I have not used one myself, but I did look into them a couple years back when I was considering growing in higher volume than my rootmaker capacity. The evidently produce great root systems.

Thanks,

Jack