Chestnut Hill - Southern Crabapple

DrewMc

5 year old buck +
Anyone have experience with these in the northeast. My local Wal-Mart has a few left. Waiting for the price to drop.

Attachments

• IMG_1717.jpeg
    IMG_1717.jpeg
    292.9 KB · Views: 16
I had a Southern Crabapple, but it didn't come from Chestnut Hill. The fruit was extremely small and it had significant CAR every year. Another thing I didn't like was that it was thorny. I ended up cutting it down to make room for something else.

You’d probably do better planting a dolgo seedling for like 10 bucks or less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you see that? Better deals out there. Might do better with a winesap or wolf river from home depot.

I am doing an experiment at home. I am planting a M111 Rootstock and seeing what she does. $3.50 tree....... And some would say I paid too much.

Many mail order nurseries also sell seedling and rootstock. IDeally a tree hould be cages with 10ft or more of 4ft fencing. I am using only 3ft of 4ft tall 1/4 mesh. Got a 100ft of 11ga for like $80. So each tree protected is under 3 dollars. I planted them in the middle of some younger trees, cut them to 4ft height and kill them with diesel. It makes the protection zone from deer larger.
20230311_171502.jpg

Walmart had them reduced to $5 a tree about two weeks after they put them out in March 2021. No idea why they were reduced so quickly and didn't ask. I bought the two they had and planted them in early April in south Louisiana. I usually prefer to plant in October-December so roots can get established before the following summer. Planting after March is a crap shoot since things get hot and dry in May. They have survived but have not really thrived. One decided to fall over this past June from I assume winds during a thunderstorm. Luckily I was over there about a week later and was able to get it back upright. My property is within their native range, but I have been unimpressed with them.
1727400803206.png1727400823327.png

I have a couple Chestnut Hill DR Deer Pears , nice trees . But for the money if you're buying local or from a box store Home Depot has some right nice looking apple trees for $33.00 probably 7 foot tall . The Chestnut Hill southern crabs I saw at my Walmart were skimpy looking and not worth no $44.74