Chainsaw Sharpening

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
I have hand files but I don't think I get a good sharp chain with them. With 4 saws it is time consuming also.

Was looking looking at this.... EzzDoo Chain Sharpener

Any experience with this?

What do you guys use?

I have a buddy who has something similar and does a decent job.

Personally, I do business with a dedicated locally owned outdoor equipment business - they charge $4 to sharpen a 20” chain. I buy four chains and drop off two and always keep two. I sharpen myself about three times and take them to the shop after that for them to straighten out. You migh ck and see if your local shop sharpens chains. I live in logging country.

Hand file. Don’t be afraid to take the rakers down a little.

if you have a dremel they sell bits for them , I have used them and been happy, but I also been happy with somke of the hand files as well, as stated above you at times also need to file down the rakers for things to cut right!

and if you care to watch here is a good video that shows products and how well they really work

Every time I have someone sharpen a chain, they grind it down to nothing, regardless of how new it is.

Those small hand held grinders are ok but not real precise. For my small chains I usually just hand file, recently picked up one the Stihl 2-1 sharpeners and they seem pretty fool proof. If I'm sharpening chains for the 6 foot bar I use my Oregon bench grinder.

I have a Stihl USG sharpener that I will occasionally will use on my 50” bar chains but for my little 20”-24” bar chains I normally just hand file sharpen them. But in all fairness I still own a cable skidder and owned a sawmill for about 10 years so my familiarity with chainsaws may not be average.

Those small hand held grinders are ok but not real precise. For my small chains I usually just hand file, recently picked up one the Stihl 2-1 sharpeners and they seem pretty fool proof. If I'm sharpening chains for the 6 foot bar I use my Oregon bench grinder.

I’m pretty new to this but those stihl 2 in 1 sharpeners have worked well for me.

Only hand file here. Never liked the gauges either. Wife got me a dremel sharpener a few yrs ago and haven't even tried it yet. I do know when you drop your saw off at the shop those guys can really sharpen it. I should try out the dremel one of these days.

I use the stihl 2-1 as well. I do have a bench mount grinder, but haven’t used it since I got the 2-1. Very easy to use and with a stump vise, sharpening in the woods is a breeze. Puts a great edge on as well. Additionally, it takes the rakers down at the same time, pretty slick.

Hand files are all I've used - flat for the rakers, and round for the teeth. Some care must be taken to avoid a sloppy job - but they work fine for me. I use the Stihl filing tools.

2n1 here as well. Very slick.
Only send in the chains for touch up about every other year.