Chainsaw Recommendations

Teeder

5 year old buck +
I spent the weekend pulling trees out of the woods that I had previously dropped. The hardest part was swinging my old Farm Boss around limbing the trees. I had rotator cuff surgery a couple years ago and it hasn't been right since. It's time for a lighter saw for this kind of work. Looking for some input.
Thanks!

The Stihl 170 is what I use all the time except for the very biggest stuff. They are very light weight and hold up well for what they cost. I tried the 180C with the easy start and toolless chain adjustment. The easy start feature is fine, but I kept having trouble with the toolless chain adjustment. The chain gets loose too easily, and I was throwing it off frequently. I have a couple of big saws for the really big stuff, but the 170 is what I use 90% of the time. All of my saws have gotten a real workout since the recent 85 mph wind.

Google is your friend but the powerhead on the ole farmboss is around 13 lbs. The ms180 is about 8.6 lbs and ok for occasional use. I use a ms250 for 90% of sawing and about 10.6 lbs. If you are addicted to the power of the farmboss and have a pile of cash the pro saw ms260 also at around 10.6 lbs and really rips. Brother's only saw is that one and likes it

On the ms250 and under a sharp chain really helps. Advise you sharpen often and will cut just fine compared to your old saw. A slightly dull chain and you will notice it more compared to your old saw

I'll second the Stihl MS170. I hadn't used a chainsaw in years until last year, and I bought it. At 8.6 lbs, it is real nice. It comes with a 16" bar, but I also bought a 14" backup bar and chain. I really like it so far. I packed it around a good bit late last fall cutting in some bedding and edge feathering.

For limbing and even some bucking I use an Echo 2511T since dealing with a bit of tennis elbow. Lightest chainsaw in North America. I've been happy with it overall in the 6 months that I've had it. Currently running a 14 inch bar on it. Might try one of the exhaust mods I've seen on YouTube when I get bored next winter.

The best limbing saws I have ever owned was the Stihl Ms 200 if you can find one, they are an awesome saw. I was stupid and traded mine in for a ms201, which is still a good saw, but I got hosed on the trade in.

I thought I responded to this already but it seems gone now?

I have 3 saws: stihl ms170 and ms391 and an echo 355T.

The ms170 is a dog and i need to get it looked at by someone. It bogs in the cut immediately and I know they aren't all that way.

Got the echo 355t late this last winter and it already probably has 5x the use of the ms170. It weighs less and is more powerful but costs twice as much. I use it for everything that isn't too big for the 14" bar (you can get in a 16" too). Love that thing. Never been finicky about anything. I saw that the stihl 201t is a popular saw amongst habitat guys and after some research saw the 355t as a half price alternative. They make a rear handle version in the 361 if you prefer that to a top handle. That echo 2511 @Skeeter mentioned seems to be pretty loved as well if you want one even lighter.

The 391 weighs about the same as your farm boss (edit: Farm boss is 12.3#, 391 is 13.7#) and only gets used on stuff that's too big for a 14" bar. I should be all set but cant help but long for a MS261 like @rocksnstumps pointed out to rip on bigger stuff while being about 3# lighter than my 391.

Last edited:
I also own a ms261, love the saw. I use it as my mid range saw. Lots of power, and light. I have a ms361 as a big saw, and it’s heavy.

I vote for the MS170. If you just need something here or there, it's really nice. I bought an old Poulan that I thought I'd try to rebuild but gave up and bought the Stihl. It was a very good decision. Really cuts well for a small saw.

I spent the weekend pulling trees out of the woods that I had previously dropped. The hardest part was swinging my old Farm Boss around limbing the trees. I had rotator cuff surgery a couple years ago and it hasn't been right since. It's time for a lighter saw for this kind of work. Looking for some input.
Thanks!
I love the little electric dewalt I got. It is light and I love the safety aspect. Great for bucking. I would not use it for a primary firewood chainsaw but it is great for removing downed tress across a trail or doing some habitat work. Here is a thread: https://habitat-talk.com/threads/cordless-chainsaw.11796/

I've used the replacement saw quite a lot since that thread and I still love it.

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks everyone. I'll run the specs of what's been mentioned. This will be used for anything that isn't dropping trees. I cut about 5 cord a year if that helps.
My brother recommended a ms250.

Check out the MS-201 TCM it’s an advanced arborist saw professional grade. It’s a top handled saw used for up in the tree limbing but it works amazing and that thing can eat wood. I use that saw 99% of the time. Just a tad over 8 pounds with a 14” bar. I shouldn’t but I can cut one handed if needed

I have the rear handle model, rather then the T handle one. It is a great little saw. It isn’t quite as good as the ms200 but still better then most saws out there for its size.

I always heard the 201 isn't as good as the 200 was. You can turn it up a little tho. I also have the 201 rear handle. It's a nice light saw. Probably cost $800 nowadays.

Check out the MS-201 TCM it’s an advanced arborist saw professional grade. It’s a top handled saw used for up in the tree limbing but it works amazing and that thing can eat wood. I use that saw 99% of the time. Just a tad over 8 pounds with a 14” bar. I shouldn’t but I can cut one handed if needed
No problems with that? The reviews on the Stihl website have a large number of bad reviews about it. Was looking at it, but got scared.

No problems with that? The reviews on the Stihl website have a large number of bad reviews about it. Was looking at it, but got scared.
Not sure if those are recent issues or not. I have had mine about 4 years and it has been a great addition to my arsenal. I know there were some negative reviews when I bought mine but haven’t read the recent negative feedback to see what the issues are. Had one small issue with the oil fill cap but I think I butchered up the seal. After I replaced the cap no more issue.

Edit: oof after reading those recent reviews I probably would not purchase that saw. Just glad for $749 I didn’t have those issues.

I always heard the 201 isn't as good as the 200 was. You can turn it up a little tho. I also have the 201 rear handle. It's a nice light saw. Probably cost $800 nowadays.
Saw a 201t c-m on the shelf last night for $811 if I recall correctly. I read lots of issues about the auto tune ones not running well in high temps. Seems like a sweet saw but couldn’t cough up the coin when the echo 355t is $350.

Last edited:
I still like my electric Greenworks gmax 40v with the 16" bar. I also have the smaller 12" version and the extension saw. With all the gas powered toys/tools in the barn, I'm happy not having one more and I've cut trees way bigger than I should have......you know, when it falls a little different than you think and after you hear that whoomp noise as the huge tree hits the ground you say to yourself, "that was probably stupid."

I have had mine for 4-5 years. No issues at all with mine. So these newer ones may have some issues to stay away from.

When I got mine, I had a ms200 that I ended up running non mixed gas through it and burnt it up. I should of just fixed it, but at the time I was told the ms201 was just as good, just updated, and if I remember right, it cost me $150 to trade my burned up ms200 in to get a new ms201. Seemed like a great deal at the time, but the ms201 wasn’t quite the same saw that the ms200 was. And looking back, fixing the ms200 would have been the best decision. I have looked at some used ms200 saws, but they are getting $800-2500 for them now.