Cedar Apple Rust (pics)

PrairieShadow

5 year old buck +
This is my first time ever seeing CAR. What do I need to do about it and if action is needed with what chemical?

B164AD43-3D22-45B7-A1BB-76F0BB8C40CD.jpegFD535BE1-283C-4E9A-8DBC-2B18F096CC2C.jpeg

Don't do anything except for planting apple tree cultivars that are highly resistant to it. I'm in CAR Hell but don't worry about it at all, because of the resistant trees. My motto is to plant trees that support life rather than require life support. Good luck.

Don't do anything except for planting apple tree cultivars that are highly resistant to it. I'm in CAR Hell but don't worry about it at all, because of the resistant trees. My motto is to plant trees that support life rather than require life support. Good luck.
It won’t hurt my cedars?

I’ve been planting resistant varieties of apples ever since I learned what CAR was.

It won’t hurt my cedars?

I’ve been planting resistant varieties of apples ever since I learned what CAR was.

Heck no, it won't hurt your cedars. They love that stuff! Good for you on planting those resistant varieties!

Stuff goes from cedars to apple trees. Anything 1/2 mile away or so can infect your apple trees. some sources say to cut down your cedar trees. I prune off those orange things on my cedars. I have used bonide copper to get rid ofthe rust. Good bad or indeifferent,. I spray the remaining stuff in my trank on the cedars.

Some of these fungicides listed also work well on the spruce needle cast. Get the right fungicide and you can do both apple and blue / white spruce trees.

Also, cedar apple rust is something many trees live with.

I dont know the history of cedar apple rust. But, I am pretty sure its not new. Specialty varieties could be prone more to them, just because folks are more adimant about keeping the strain of cultivar alive.....

In my part of NY, its all over the place. Red cedars are very common here too. White cedars aren't doing well overall in my state though. I have old trees in my neighborhood that are doing just fine and have red spots on them. It does damage leaves and fruit. Leaf damage does hurt growth an vitality, however deer dont care about ugly fruit.

Seeing the orange balls is not a death sentence for your orchard, even if you don't treat it. Im sure old apples trees its a few nails in the coffin on them.

In my part of NY, its all over the place. Red cedars are very common here too. White cedars aren't doing well overall in my state though.
Just a bit of info for clarification -
Northern white cedar -Thuja occidentalis - is not a true cedar. It's what many know as arborvitae. It's not an alternate host of the CAR fungus, like red cedar is.
Red cedar is actually a juniper, a member of the juniper family - yep - the names are confusing. Any juniper will serve as an alternate host for CAR fungus.

As others have said, planting CAR-resistant varieties is your best bet.

I have red cedar trees with similar orange globs growing around my apple trees and the apple trees do fine. If you are worried about CAR, then you could cut down every cedar in your neighborhood. In SD I'm guessing the thick cover provided by the cedars is more important to wildlife than apple trees, so I'd just leave it all and see what happens.

Planting disease resistant apple varieties is always a good idea as well.

I have red cedar trees with similar orange globs growing around my apple trees and the apple trees do fine. If you are worried about CAR, then you could cut down every cedar in your neighborhood. In SD I'm guessing the thick cover provided by the cedars is more important to wildlife than apple trees, so I'd just leave it all and see what happens.

NYSDEC considers red cedar to be a starvation food. I live in a mix of town and farms. Plenty of young shrub growth and weedy fields and lawns to nibble. There is decent hunting acitvity in the area to cull numbers. Plenty of options for deer in the winter, but they nibble away on my red cedars. even in the summer.

They say you couldn't have a cedar within 2 miles.Just plant CAR resistant apple and fire blight resistant pears and you will be fine

You got that right. I plant at least a couple hundred cedars each year. They provide the thermal cover/wind breaks needed for winter survival. I don't care what kind of grass you have. 18" of snow driven by 40-50mph winds will snow lodge or laydown any grass out there. I'll keep my cedars over any apple on the place.

Im debating what to do with my antonovka trees from SLN nurseries. Despite folks not liking their meager root base, they are all doing decent if not well. They are a bit on the rusty side though.

Debating grafting them. I planted them in late april. About a dozen are in their new homes, 8 are in a nursery, and I potted the remaining 7 or 8 and gave them away to friends. Thinking of Kerr crabapple scions.