CB Radios At Camp?

SD51555

5 year old buck +
Anyone use CB radios at their hunting shack? I'm curious if there is still a practical purpose for one, be it communcation between your own group, weather bands, or more. The ham radio concept bit my interest tonight, and I wonder if I shouldn't rig one up in the cabin.

Anyone use CB radios at their hunting shack? I'm curious if there is still a practical purpose for one, be it communcation between your own group, weather bands, or more. The ham radio concept bit my interest tonight, and I wonder if I shouldn't rig one up in the cabin.

I have one in my Jeep for trail rides with a four. Other than that I have no use for one. Of course, there is decent cell service at my land and campsite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CB and HAM radio are two different things. CB is "out of the box" communication...anybody can use a CB. You need to pass a test and have a license to operate a HAM radio. That test used to require MORSE code fluency. Don't know if it still does.

I can't speak for various regions of the country, but here in New England CB is basically dead...just about useless. If you are just using it for communications within your group, then sure....it's as good as it ever was. But if you have adequate cell service and everybody has a phone, why bother? If you don't have cell service that's a different story. Great tool to keep in touch with the crew.

Cell service is very poor up by me. Ham is more so what I'm thinking of, but also short distance communication. My phone will only send and receive anything if it's in one spot in my cabin. Anywhere else on my property, it is an offline camera and nothing more.

Cell service is very poor up by me. Ham is more so what I'm thinking of, but also short distance communication. My phone will only send and receive anything if it's in one spot in my cabin. Anywhere else on my property, it is an offline camera and nothing more.

If you're thinking about HAM, look into GMRS. It has a lot of the capabilities of HAM but the license is easier to get and GMRS is easier to use.

If you're thinking about HAM, look into GMRS. It has a lot of the capabilities of HAM but the license is easier to get and GMRS is easier to use.
Appreciate the intel fella. I dipped a toe in the water last night to start learning, and it didn't go well. Them ham guys have a language all their own.

THere are licenses needed for CB and GMRS, over a certain power. CB thought was 100 watts, GMRS 1 or 5 watt. GMRS in a club setting. Buy a $100-150 GMRS base radio and put the antenna up high in a tree, pretty much can here anybody on any lease.

CB has merit. Police still monitor it. Might be able to call for help with it.

My club, the guys fool around with it, pretty much turn it off until I hear a gunshot.

Might be able to get cell service with a good cell booster setup.

Good walk-in talkies have a long long range. 200 dollar set has perfect communication from one side of my 300 acres to the other.

Good walk-in talkies have a long long range. 200 dollar set has perfect communication from one side of my 300 acres to the other.

Do u have line of sight challenges? My place is as flat as the earth itself, and I’m solid trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My place is hilly as hell and they work great. I was surprised but they do.

My place gets ATT cell coverage but not Verizon. I switched to ATT but lots of my friends and family don’t so we just carry these around when separated.

They are DEWALT and their professional models but were like 200 for a pair on Amazon.

dewalts look nice, it appears the privacy line codes are universal from what I read. their 1 watt is 120 a pair, 2 watt 150 a pair. We have problems at camp with gmrs talking to each other. Might be older models, might be programmer error too.

Motorola T800 can transmit between cellphones, so you can text each other silently.

Last edited:
For emergency or just need to communicate we use satellite phones. You can just prepay for minutes and they are portable so you can take them anywhere.
We use them when hunting out of state, especially out west.

For emergency or just need to communicate we use satellite phones. You can just prepay for minutes and they are portable so you can take them anywhere.
We use them when hunting out of state, especially out west.
Used to have one when I was in NYC and taking a 21ft sailboat way too out. One or two trips you cold barely see the tops of the big buildings. Deadly killer trolling setup though.

Dont be afraid of qyt or baofeng's stuff. I have both and worked reliably for years. Kept a 70cm/2m ham radio dual band in my snowmobile, also does GMRS, and I could monitor the town snowmobile trail maintenance dept to see where the groomers were laying down fresh trails.