Camera mount - get the aim where you want it.

John-W-WI

Administrator
So I switched cameras this season to Spartan Go Cams (cellular service by Verizon).

Like most cameras, they come with a very limited mounting system. A cheap strap, a couple of bumps on the back of the camera to dig into the tree, and that is it.

So I searched around on Amazon a little to find a more universal mount. I bought a few of these:

mount.PNG

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LPJ27JM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And screwed a few treated 2 x 4's together to make a bracket to hold them. Added a couple of screws for the strap to catch on, and off I went:

Spartan Camera Mount 2.jpg Spartan Camera Mount 3.jpg Spartan Camera Mount 5.jpg

The picture of the mount on the bench shows the screws sticking out the back slightly. I thought that would make it easier to keep it where you want it. That wasn't the case, as the straps I used didn't have a ratchet on them, just a buckle. So I had to "wedge" the mount down on the tree to get it tight.

The gizmo from Amazon are very much like RAM mounts that I've used in my boat. But much lighter duty and <$20 each. I often like to mount my cameras 8 - 12 feet off the ground hoping to keep the bears away from them. This system allows me to get a good "aim" where I expect the deer to be.

Anyone else build their own mounts? I'm always looking for new ideas.

-John

I make mine. I take a 1/4 -20 eye bolt, and an eye bolt with wood threads. Use a short bolt and a couple washers and a wing nut through both of the eyes on the eye bolts. I also put a 1/4-20 nut to use as a lock nut against the camera. Screw the wood thread lag into the tree, screw the cam on the 1/4-20 end. Use the wing nut to set the angle up/down, rotate to where you want side to side and lock with the nut. Don't have a pic..

I make mine. I take a 1/4 -20 eye bolt, and an eye bolt with wood threads. Use a short bolt and a couple washers and a wing nut through both of the eyes on the eye bolts. I also put a 1/4-20 nut to use as a lock nut against the camera. Screw the wood thread lag into the tree, screw the cam on the 1/4-20 end. Use the wing nut to set the angle up/down, rotate to where you want side to side and lock with the nut. Don't have a pic..

I have used something similar swat.. Something like this if I'm following you:

https://cambushcamo.com/blogs/news/9586237-do-it-yourself-trail-camera-mount

They work ok, but can be a little touchy at times IMHO

-John

-John

I also use this setup, got the idea from one of LC's threads. I put a piece of rubber between where the eye's contact each other, seems to help keep tension when you tighten down the wingnut.

I have been using the Reconyx universal camera mount. Small, hard to spot, mounts directly to the tree and easy to adjust for angle or elevation. I was sick of using the cheap straps that came with the cameras, made them too easy to see with that black band wrapped around the tree. I now mount most of my cameras eight to ten feet high. Purchased from Cabelas.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Reconyx-Universal-Camera-Mount/2339038.uts?slotId=0

I have been using the Reconyx universal camera mount. Small, hard to spot, mounts directly to the tree and easy to adjust for angle or elevation. I was sick of using the cheap straps that came with the cameras, made them too easy to see with that black band wrapped around the tree. I now mount most of my cameras eight to ten feet high. Purchased from Cabelas.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Reconyx-Universal-Camera-Mount/2339038.uts?slotId=0

That is a slick little rig too. I like it.

-John

Personally HME makes a cheap version that will angle up/down or Hawk also has one that can rotate in any direction....incredible both in their own right and I own a few of each.

John how do you like the Spartan Camera?

John how do you like the Spartan Camera?

Well, I'm torn on the Spartan. Once they are up and running they are amazing. They run forever on a set of lithium batteries (I've had several out since early September I believe and they are still going strong).

The picture quality is good. I have mine set on the largest thumbnail and the pictures are very good. When you go to the cam you get the full 8 MP image off the card.

The issue I have had with them is getting them setup.

Of the 1st 4 cameras I purchased, 1 of them was DOA. It never stopped taking pictures. I sent it into Spartan on a RMA. Weeks went by, I never heard a word. I contacted them and they said a replacement was on the way but they were back ordered. I get it, deer season is their busy time. But they could sure give the customer an update once in a while. I had to pay shipping both ways, and pay to connect to Verizon twice.

I purchased 4 more a few weeks later. They were back ordered (they told me after they took the order) I didn't get them until the 1st week of November. They just kept saying "yours will go out in the next shipment we receive". Really? You don't know how many you sold or how many you have coming in?

This past weekend, I started setting the 4 new cameras up as I wasn't going to put them out during the peak of rut. I can't get one of them to register with Verizon. I spent an hour on the phone with Verizon trying to get it going, no luck. I'm calling spartan today.

When they run they are awesome. And I haven't had any trouble with them after I get them going. Getting them going can be a challenge.

-John

m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/hme-easy-aim-trail-camera-holder-16hmeucnmytrlcmrhtch/16hmeucnmytrlcmrhtch?camp=CSE:DSG_pg41924_ecom_PLA_452&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlrGikvbj1wIVQ7nACh1VrAN8EAQYASABEgL2KPD_BwE

Hme easy holder $10 at fleet. Basically a bowholder with a swivel.

I like what you did there but this thing fits in my pocket and its profile is so small on the tree it helps prevent theft. The strap is the giveaway on every camera if you have tresspassers or people with a long nose.

I will second the strap part by saying my shithead neighbor walked by my camera at 2 feet sunday and didnt see the camera.

John
Did you ever get all those Spartan Cameras running yet ?

-John

I use this setup as well... I absolutely love it.
I hunt mostly public land, so I set my cameras 10-12 feet up to reduce the chance of them getting stolen. The angle adjustment is awesome on this design.
91c16391c0fd4e3a151199eba68886e7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take that design one step further use a eye bolt and a wing nut as the horizontal bolt and u won’t have to use tools to loosten or tighten it!

I use this setup as well... I absolutely love it.
I hunt mostly public land, so I set my cameras 10-12 feet up to reduce the chance of them getting stolen. The angle adjustment is awesome on this design.
91c16391c0fd4e3a151199eba68886e7.jpg

I use the same..all stainless with a wingnut. Totally agree with the strap being the giveway. Several times I've approached my cams to swap chips and thought they had been stolen because they blend in so well.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/hme-easy-aim-trail-camera-holder-16hmeucnmytrlcmrhtch/16hmeucnmytrlcmrhtch?camp=CSE:DSG_pg41924_ecom_PLA_452&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlrGikvbj1wIVQ7nACh1VrAN8EAQYASABEgL2KPD_BwE

Hme easy holder $10 at fleet. Basically a bowholder with a swivel.

I like what you did there but this thing fits in my pocket and its profile is so small on the tree it helps prevent theft. The strap is the giveaway on every camera if you have tresspassers or people with a long nose.

Found this on Ebay for $9.99 and free shipping. Never used one but I order some and hope they work well. I'll follow up later in January when I get them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hme-Easy-a...var=461845019247&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thanks, Ken