Burning brush piles

BuckSutherland

5 year old buck +
We had to burn 4 brushpiles up at the hunting shack last weekend. Our big pile went from a cigarette lighter flame to a 15 foot inferno in about 2 mins with no gas. Just some paper, cardboard and my gas powered leaf blower. Sure is a fun way to get it going and works damn fast. Our big pile was fully engulfed in about 30-35 mins and 75% gone in a little over an hour. We had a bunch stumps and other junk in there and it nuked everything. I also burned a couple smaller ones in the woods as an experiment. I feel totally comfortable doing that again. I was apprehensive to even try at first. Just have to cover my piles with a tarp and wait for a foot of snow. Hoping to maybe get some mushrooms to pop in this area next spring.

IMG_1342.JPGIMG_1351.JPGIMG_1359.JPGIMG_1376.JPG

How long were they there before you burned them.

The 2 in the woods a couple years. One of them in the yard was made last summer, the other I made a few weeks ago during hunting. They all got covered with some type of tarp before the snow.

Did you have to contact the local fire department, just so they didnt show up? I have a couple large piles I have been slowly burning in a fire pit, but it would be nice to have them gone for good, and quick.

^^^We stopped up town and tried to get a burning permit. They told us that when there is 3+ inches of snow on the ground we dont need any type of permit or to call anyone. We waited for ZERO wind and plenty of snow. Worked awesome.

I like having brush piles on our place, we make them on purpose lots of them. They are great for all kinds of wildlife and bugs/mason&leaf cutter bees as they break down. Fantastic cover for bunnies and deer like to bed up against them.

Where's the hotdogs? Waste of a good fire.... Thanks for sharing - I have 3 or 4 I need to burn, been so long I have new trees growing up in them...

I like having brush piles on our place, we make them on purpose lots of them. They are great for all kinds of wildlife and bugs/mason&leaf cutter bees as they break down. Fantastic cover for bunnies and deer like to bed up against them.

Inn the woods they will stay, I like piles of brush as well. But I had to clear a half acre lot for a septic system, I cut the logs from the pile, but have a lot of brush stacked up. I was going to drag it into the woods, and burn some in campfires, but it is near my building sites, and I still need to get a final inspection done on my house, and the brush piles are within 100 feet from the house.

I like the diversity they bring other than porcupines hiding underneath them and mowing my damn oak trees.

IMG_1351.JPGIMG_1360.JPG

These are the other two that I would like to get rid of next year. They are in the way, but I fully intend to make a few more in this area and let nature do its thing with them. Chased about a dozen grouse out of this spot the other day. I have plenty of junk trees I would like to mow down in this area yet. Filling in with cedars and spruce next spring.

IMG_1433.JPGIMG_1438.JPG