All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

buckwheat

I am thinking about switching to oats due to cost also. Buckwheat has went up quite a bit in price.

I stopped at the coop to get some oats to mix with some medium red clover I was planting and they had none. Not even seed oats! Tells me I need to plan more ahead even for cereal!

I stopped at the coop to get some oats to mix with some medium red clover I was planting and they had none. Not even seed oats! Tells me I need to plan more ahead even for cereal!

I usually just go to the local tractor supply and get a bag of feed oats.

feed oats grow, I have used them in the past.

For the guys who switched to oats, are you planting the oats around Memorial Day like the buckwheat and how many pounds of oats per acre? I assume you are letting the oats go till you are ready to plant a fall crop such as WR and then just rolling the oats down into the WR seed. I was going to go the buckwheat and the WR route but same here in NE Wis the price of buckwheat is high. I have never planted oats before are they as easy to grow as buckwheat?

I planted a cover crop of oats,peas, and red clover two years ago. I was actually able to get it planted during a dry spell in late March. It did well, everybody told me you could plant oats as soon as you could get in the field. I think I planted 100 oats and 50lbs peas. I didn't really notice much browsing, but I wasn't there to watch either. The oats/peas did a decent job keeping the weeds down but some were able to pop thru.(not as effective as buckwheat) I sprayed in June and planted brassicas July. I'm doing this again this spring.

My experience with spring planted oats is that the deer don't really hit them hard at all. Once they head out I see some usage but very minimal. I certainly wouldn't plant them in the spring for attraction. They should do a decent job of suppressing weeds though. I have heard mixed reviews on trying to till them in once they are fully grown though. Heard it was a headache for a tiller as they get wrapped up in it.

who has seen the best price on Buckwheat? I'm sure one of us found a deal.........

~44$/50# bag in east texas at easttexasseedcompany in tyler,texas

bill

welters has it for 38, + shipping

How long will Buckwheat seeds last? I usually buy them by the pound, but if they will last 2 or 3 years, I might be better off buying a 50 pound bag. I planted Buckwheat last year in the spring, and it took the deer awhile to figure out what it was, but when the did they hammered it.

I was able to get it for $42 for 50 lbs

Last year we paid $38 for a 56 Lb. sack ( 1 bushel ). Bought locally in Pa.

I checked my local co ops and it is running $52-56 for me. My plot would require a $150 cost for the buckwheat seed. I have honey bees and they would love the buckwheat but that is a steep price for a crop I would terminate in August. Any other ideas of what to plant late May ending in late August when I plant my WR? This plot is sandy Loam with a lower Ph. 1200 lbs of pel lime was spread on it this past weekend.

I checked my local co ops and it is running $52-56 for me. My plot would require a $150 cost for the buckwheat seed. I have honey bees and they would love the buckwheat but that is a steep price for a crop I would terminate in August. Any other ideas of what to plant late May ending in late August when I plant my WR? This plot is sandy Loam with a lower Ph. 1200 lbs of pel lime was spread on it this past weekend.
Oats sound like what your looking for. You could even plant one bag of Buckwheat and the rest oats to give them som variety.

45 dollars a bag is what I paid for a 50 pound bag. Better then $1.40 a pound.