BUCKWHEAT

S.T.Fanatic

5 year old buck +
I planted some buckwheat and sunflower seed late last week. I had some sprayer issues and wasn't able to spray it. We haven't received a drop of rain and this was a throw and roll planting. What are the chances that it has germinated by now. I'd like to spray it ASAP but also don't want to kill it all off either.

It depends on how much moisture you have had from dew and stuff. I doubt sunflowers have germinated, but some of the buckwheat may have.

I did the same as you but about 1 week earlier. Buckwheat was up quickly and surprisingly doing very well. Doesn't look like anything else has started yet which is just fine with me. Wasn't planning on the drought getting here a month early this year. Hoping the weather patterns are just a month earlier than normal. Last October we set a record for snow fall and then in November it was pretty warm during rifle season with hardly any snow.

I checked on my buckwheat yesterday. There was enough that had germinated that it made me hold off on spraying. The winter barley had been terminated by crimping and hopefully the rest of the stuff will be setback enough that the buckwheat can get ahead of it.

I didn’t see a single sunflower that had germinated. I did see plenty of them that had been eaten by critters of some sort. Still plenty of time. This will be going into winter barley and winter peas come mid to late August so I’m not all that concerned about the sunflowers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moisture would be great.

then in November it was pretty warm during rifle season with hardly any snow.

It was brutally hot here in central MO the first two weeks of Nov. Hope we don't have to deal with that again anytime soon..

Gotta give a thumbs up to buckwheat being able to germinate and grow for a couple weeks in 90 degree weather and zero rain---i'm impressed! Looks like the deer might have gotten half of it clipped off due to it being the only thing growing. Got a good rain this morning so now everything that was planted at the same time as the buckwheat can finally start doing something.

Buckwheat loves warm soil and with a little moisture it will out-compete most weeds when planted as a monoculture. The same is true when mixed with sunn hemp. It and weeds can out-compete many slower germinating seeds.

It was brutally hot here in central MO the first two weeks of Nov. Hope we don't have to deal with that again anytime soon..
Of course two years ago it was 13 degrees on opening day - Missouri weather - it’s shaping up to be a typical hot, dry summer already. Let’s hope for some late august and early September rain this year.