Bucks dropping antlers already?

Wind Gypsy

5 year old buck +
Got this pic today, looks like a buck dropped antlers already unless it’s just a button buck? Anyone else see them drop this early?
7D5AA7B9-405F-4EFA-93D3-90ECD86BE9A5.png

I had 1 on last weeks card pull that was dropped already. You’ll always have a few early ones as well as a few that hold into late March in a typical year

I’ve seen two so far with one missing. A spike and a larger buck.

I still have a decent buck wandering around out here. My bow season ends middle of January, so I have a few weeks yet. But I will need to find the time to go, that is the hard part.

That looks like a fluffy little button buck to me.

Button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. It's about that time.

Around here in so central mo it's as fishncoyoe said . A couple years in back I shot an old 10 point buck Jan 1 he made a 50 yard dash and piled up anterless . One came off when he plowed through a bush and one side was laying under him when I turned him over . I turned to my wife and said well I just filled an anterless tag now I have 2 more days to kill a antlered deer . Of course I was joking but it could be a possible senerio for someone who wasn't ethical .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

I’ve seen one buck is Iowa that lost a side.

eEAvp2e.jpg

We have had a few bucks that have dropped early this year. One of the guys at our camp finally shot a 10 point we have been chasing several years on 12/3. He was fully intact when he shot and when he got up to him after a 75 yard run he had dropped both sides. Rut took it’s toll on the old boy, he only weighed 150 dressed which is small for a mature buck here. Not an ounce of fat on him.

Lucky for your buddy he did not drop them a day earlier! Heck, maybe that is how he seemed to disappear in prior years. Glad it finally worked out, that's a nice buck Diesel.

One of our neighbors had a buck drop it’s antlers after being shot Thanksgiving.

We have had a few bucks that have dropped early this year. One of the guys at our camp finally shot a 10 point we have been chasing several years on 12/3. He was fully intact when he shot and when he got up to him after a 75 yard run he had dropped both sides. Rut took it’s toll on the old boy, he only weighed 150 dressed which is small for a mature buck here. Not an ounce of fat on him
That IS a dandy buck, Diesel. Thick rack - must be eatin' good things. No fat ........ he was doing lots of chasing. We can relate to "the chase" - right?? :emoji_wink:
It's funny how some bucks drop early, and others hang on into February or March. Genetics?? Nutrition??

It's funny how some bucks drop early, and others hang on into February or March. Genetics?? Nutrition??

Hormones.