Browning Dark Ops Eating Batteries

PatinPA

5 year old buck +
I have a Browning Dark Ops that I really like. It's worked fantastic for years. I put Energizer Max batteries in it. I have always been amazed how good this camera is on batteries. One day I checked it and it was dead. No problem. I didn't have any Energizers on me so I just put some cheap amazon batteries in it. Figured they would be fine until I got some more good batteries. Checked it the following week. Dead. Hmm maybe the batteries were bad. Still only had amazons to I put them in. Checked it again later. Down to 40% in a few days. Put brand new just bought batteries in it last week. It's down to 53% battery life already. It only took 3 pics last week. Anyone else ever have this problem. I'm going to pull the camera and see if the firmware needs updated. The camera is 4-5 years old.

I haven't had great luck with Browning Trail cameras. Bought one in 2021 forgot the model but it was a cheaper one around $100 and the battery tray would pop out, so I returned it. In 2022 I bought a Browning Dark Ops HD at Tractor supply for $129.00 I was very pleased with the picture and video quality HOWEVER after 5-6 months of being out in the field the camera started to make a "clicking" sound when starting to record a video or Taking a picture. Luckily it was under warranty, I sent it in and they sent me a new camera,.

I loved that Dark Ops. Crystal clear videos and pictures. It worked great for 4-5 years then just died. I sent it back and they said they couldn't fix it but offered me a discount on a new one. The discount ended up still being more than I could buy them off Amazon. I bought my dad one of the cheaper ones ($100). It was junk. It never takes night pics.

I’ve had good luck with my Browning cameras. Good battery life, decent pictures. Haven’t experienced your situation before.

I loved that Dark Ops. Crystal clear videos and pictures. It worked great for 4-5 years then just died. I sent it back and they said they couldn't fix it but offered me a discount on a new one. The discount ended up still being more than I could buy them off Amazon. I bought my dad one of the cheaper ones ($100). It was junk. It never takes night pics.
Good to know. I was so pleased with my first Dark Ops picture and video quality , that I went out and bought a 2 nd one . So far no problems with that one , and I won't be trying out the replacement until July-August. So I really can't complain since they replaced my 6-7 month old camera with a new one...but it cost me $9.00 shipping. I'll see how long these two Brownings last before buying any more. I know Wildgame Innovations gets a bad rap a lot of times...BUT I've had great luck with their Lights Out Models in the $75- $100 range

Good to know. I was so pleased with my first Dark Ops picture and video quality , that I went out and bought a 2 nd one . So far no problems with that one , and I won't be trying out the replacement until July-August. So I really can't complain since they replaced my 6-7 month old camera with a new one...but it cost me $9.00 shipping. I'll see how long these two Brownings last before buying any more. I know Wildgame Innovations gets a bad rap a lot of times...BUT I've had great luck with their Lights Out Models in the $75- $100 range
I found a brand called Wosports on Amazon. They're dirt cheap and amazon offers a 3 or 5 year replacement for and extra $5. Daytime pics are good. Nighttime aren't the best. But they take a lot of pictures so I don't think they miss much. I have 4 now. One of the smaller ones died. But the other 3 are 1-3 years old and still going strong. Battery life is ok. I don't notice much of a difference between those and my older cuddebacks.
01090011.JPG
01060011.JPG
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09BKHDLJH?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Attachments

• 00000075.JPG
    00000075.JPG
    326 KB · Views: 1
I’ve had good luck with my Browning cameras. Good battery life, decent pictures. Haven’t experienced your situation before.
I could be wrong , but I think My first Browning was a Command Ops. Either way it was a lower priced entry model...and the first time I went to use it , as I'm strapping it to the tree and the battery tray falls out !. I returned it that day to Tractor supply, and a few weeks to months later I started seeing reviews of people having the same problem with that model. The 2022 Dark Ops HD was awesome...but 6 months or so out in the field when starting to record in video mode The deer would be startled and look right at the camera,. I walked in front of the camera and I could here a "click" when starting to record or when taking a picture. Hopefully that was just a lemon .

I found a brand called Wosports on Amazon. They're dirt cheap and amazon offers a 3 or 5 year replacement for and extra $5. Daytime pics are good. Nighttime aren't the best. But they take a lot of pictures so I don't think they miss much. I have 4 now. One of the smaller ones died. But the other 3 are 1-3 years old and still going strong. Battery life is ok. I don't notice much of a difference between those and my older cuddebacks.
View attachment 49202
View attachment 49213
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09BKHDLJH?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
Nice Pics especially for $53 , if one craps out it's not as bad as if it was a $100 -$129 camera . I got a Apeman ? off Amazon it's decent as well...probably in that $50 range