Brown needles on south side of evergreen trees.

Angus 1895

5 year old buck +
Is this due to drought?

thanks

Attachments

• 30C39D5C-4905-4989-9F34-A5F7E24DE313.jpeg
    30C39D5C-4905-4989-9F34-A5F7E24DE313.jpeg
    947.2 KB · Views: 48
  • E8E93796-2294-4A54-A9AF-4482356629A1.jpeg
    E8E93796-2294-4A54-A9AF-4482356629A1.jpeg
    708.2 KB · Views: 46
  • E5099499-2C0C-4AAC-8F0D-2671900F0BC2.jpeg
    E5099499-2C0C-4AAC-8F0D-2671900F0BC2.jpeg
    663.9 KB · Views: 47
Looks like winter burn

What is winter burn?

I lopoked it up!

I think you are correct!

thanks

Some of my Norway's I planted last year have brown needles on one side. Will trees like these survive?

Google says they should.

They do best when shaded from the south or sw. the shade might be deep snow cover, a clump of willows, or tall grasses/weeds.

When planting small pockets of spruce, I like to plant on the north side of willow clumps. After a couple of years, I cut back the willows. You will need to do this about 3-4 times until the spruce are taller than the willows.

I seem to lose some every year. I have even used pieces of scrap lumber stuck in the ground for shade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that rare for 1st year transplants to dry out. Dry falls you got to water them once or twice. Winter burn is something different though.

I am seeing those rocks around the trees. What kind of soil are they planted in? Think they suffered from lack of water. Not uncommon for fall transplants. I use a big 2x2ft square of fabric of cardboard and put watever for mulch ontop if it. In your case, I'd just put those rocks on there. MY guess is fall watering or two would of made them look a good bit better.

These trees were planted outta pots this summer. It was a terrible drought and I had hired a person to water when I was outta town, but it was not done properly.

the blue spruce and the native pines and the fall planted trees fared much better than the ones photographed

Looks like winter burn to me. All my young norways get it every winter in SE MN. They survive and grow, allegedly as they get older they are less susceptible to it.

It seems the less drought tolerant the more likely they burn.

MAke sure they get some water if they need them now. A bit of miracle grow never hurts either. OR put a teaspoon of fertilizer in your watering jug and let it sit in some water between waterings.

That’s exactly what I did!

they got 5 to 10 gallons of the mir acid outside plant dosage

Winter burn coupled with pre-winter drought will do that on young, newly established evergreens. It is very important to water regularly during a "dry Fall" to prep the evergreens for winter. I've read many articles recommending winter watering as well, so long as temps are above freezing. Winter winds can pull the water right out of the needles and cause severe damage. On sensitive evergreens, it is also recommended to create a burlap wind shield on the South/West facing sides of the tree, at least until they are fully established - which can take up to 3 years. Then they can draw enough water from the soil to make it through dry/windy winters.

Only slightly off topic. This is a Frasier Fir planted the end of April. Showed a bunch of new growth, then things got hot and crispy. New growth was very wilted. Watered them after I saw what was happening. Some parts of a few of them have turned brown Will one like this one be ok?
PXL_20220629_131957642.jpg

Only slightly off topic. This is a Frasier Fir planted the end of April. Showed a bunch of new growth, then things got hot and crispy. New growth was very wilted. Watered them after I saw what was happening. Some parts of a few of them have turned brown Will one like this one be ok?
View attachment 44187
I think the next few weeks will tell the tale on that one, but it doesn't look great for this time of year to be in such rough shape. I'd mulch, rock, or mat that tree ASAP to keep some moisture around the roots.

I think the next few weeks will tell the tale on that one, but it doesn't look great for this time of year to be in such rough shape. I'd mulch, rock, or mat that tree ASAP to keep some moisture around the roots.
I'll keep it watered now, and I've got some unused straw to put on them this weekend.

View attachment 44187
Hot dry Spring stress. It’ll probably pull through. I have the exact same damage on a couple of my 7’ Serbian Spruce trees. Baby it until Fall when things cool down.