Broken front leg survival?

Catscratch

5 year old buck +
Got a deer hanging around the house. Broken front leg, very "dangly". I know deer are tough and can survive quite a bit but was curious if you guys had any experiences of watching a deer make it or not make it. Thinking of a mercy hunt, or putting out some feed to help it along. Quite a bit of swelling, might be infected but it could just be because wounds swell.
Thoughts?

I’ve found myself at stage where unless I want to harvest the animal in perfect health or expediting guaranteed agony/mortality… it is a no. We cannot legal finish them if hit by car or sometime out of season, so who am I to play God during season? They’re far more resilient and tougher than we are. But is objective to you, your goals and ethics. Perhaps I’m questioning a few of my decisions this season out loud on the forum right now….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garrett I can legally harvest him until the end of the yr. I haven't filled my buck tag yet so that isn't a problem. If I knew he wouldn't survive I would just do it to put him out of misery.

I’d probably take him .. if you have a tag.

I think youd be surprised what they can make it through! I know of a few 3 legged does that have had twin fawns for many years after and continue to survive our MN winters when many 4 legged animals dont. Ive seen numerous 3 legged bucks survive into astounding non-typicals the next year due to the contralateral effect. I think its a waste of a possibility. He may be your next big buck story!

Go hunt. When you see him, whistle at him and show him your gun. If he limps his way up to you, take him. If he runs the other way, he wants to live.

I think youd be surprised what they can make it through! I know of a few 3 legged does that have had twin fawns for many years after and continue to survive our MN winters when many 4 legged animals dont. Ive seen numerous 3 legged bucks survive into astounding non-typicals the next year due to the contralateral effect. I think its a waste of a possibility. He may be your next big buck story!

Go hunt. When you see him, whistle at him and show him your gun. If he limps his way up to you, take him. If he runs the other way, he wants to live.
I really like the idea of a great nontypical! Don't like the idea of suffering. Love the show him the gun idea! Lol!

I'd try to kill him and if you can't kill him during the season, I would feed him.

If the leg is dangling, he is screwed if he tries to jump a fence and it gets hooked on barbed wire. That would be a horrible way to die.

I had a long history with a 3 legged buck, multiple years. Killed another buck that was missing a back foot as well. Both were back legs though. Not sure on whether a front or rear leg would make a big difference. Have killed plenty of 3 legged coyotes over the years. Wild animals are a lot tougher than we think. I wouldnt fault a guy for letting it walk or "mercy killing" it.

Had a pic on my trail cam last weekend of a coyote with his front left leg missing about 2" below the shoulder. Was completly healed over with fur. Almost didn't notice it at first.

Animals are tough and mother nature will thin the weak ones out. I agree if it is suffering, take it,

I really like the idea of a great nontypical! Don't like the idea of suffering. Love the show him the gun idea! Lol!
I had a spike buck in my neighborhood some years ago. Its leg was broken about midway. It would spin, held on by a small chunk of skin, then spin back, eventually it fell off. He favored it, but looked healthy otherwise. The next year he would have been a 2 yr old. He was a 6x5 about 20-22" wide and his beam dropped about 8" beside his face on the 6 point side (that side was the opposite of his injury) He did well and was one of the better 2 yr olds id ever seen in our area. He was killed by a hunter that year. It was fun to watch him and see him do so well while most would have opted to "put him out of his misery". I wish I had pictures. I do have pictures of another big droptine, 3 legged buck.

You just never know!? I think what we think of as suffering, and what a wild animal thinks is suffering are two completely different things. Missing a leg is not suffering. Hell, they have 4 of them, its merely an inconvenience. If you notice he sheds his antlers NOW, hes bedded in the food in daylight, his ribs are showing and hes emaciated, then maybe he is suffering and should be put down. But I wouldnt base it on the lack of a leg.

Post pics now and next summer. Itll be a fun thread to follow!

Swiffy, I can't post pics on this site otherwise I would.
He's not emaciated at all. Not bedding in plots at night but he sure loves to spend time near the house. He's eating and whatnot.

Oh my hes decent already. If he was in bad enough shape, I think hed shed his antlers real soon if not already. I personally havent seen as drastic of changes in antlers as a result of a front leg injury compared to a rear leg, but id bet the farm hell be goofed up and unique in some way this coming season.

Thanks for sharing!

Better pic of the leg.
20221227_093543.jpg

He’s nice !!

If you have very many coyotes around then he’s a sitting duck…..I blood track deer with my dogs and leg shots are one of the most common calls we get. In other words, hunter’s create a lot of 3 legged deer each year but few survive…..The ones that make it are rarities and likely only do so out of luck.

I'm ready to leave him alone. If one of the kids decide they want to shoot him I would go for that too though. I like seeing him around the house all the time and I've already cleared out several yotes that have been near the house. Traps haven't been messed with since I caught the last one (a couple of days ago). He may have an easy go of it if he sticks close.

If you have coyotes in the area, he probably won't survive. I would take him this year for sure. You end his suffering, prevent him getting killed by coyotes, deny coyotes an easy meal, take a nice buck, possibly fill the freezer.

If coyotes get to him its gonna be an ugly death