Broadcasting seed mixes with a EarthWay 2750?

wisconsinteacher

5 year old buck +
When spreading seed mixes with different size seed from an EarthWay 2750, does a guy have to worry about not getting a good spread due to the size difference of the seeds? I want to plant Deer Creek's Sandy Sureshot and see that there are sunflower and clover seeds in the mix. They are very different in size?

I use a Solo spreader with a hard poly hopper. Sometimes you have to do a couple separate passes to accommodate different seed sizes. We do bigger seed first, it can be deeper - cultipack - then spread smaller seed and cultipack again to just lightly cover the smaller seed. Different soils may determine the best ways to seed & cover it.

I can tell you from experience trying to spread a seed mix with clover, chicory and burnet with a solo spreader is a mistake.

The burnet kept clogging the orifice. I had to jiggle, jiggle, jiggle it to keep the seed flowing. Or, even worse, open the hole to let it through and dump 5x more of the small seed per crank than I wanted.

I won’t do that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Historically, I have mixed pelletized lime with my seeds and spread them that way. I'd divide the seed into equal parts. Divide the seed into 8 prts if i had 4 bags of lime. Then pour some lime in a box, put one part in, mix it a bit, then put the rest with the other 1/2 of the bag. Getting sick of the lime dust and extra work on multiple plots.

I used the same spreader. Not fun with lime added. Some folks mix small seed with sand or kitty litter. That spreader is too coarse for pure small seeds, like frost seeding clover. Atleast from my experience. I got a solo spreader and didnt like it at 1st, but it can frost seed by itself without additives.

Overall in small plots, set it as low as it can go, go north soth passes, then switch to east west pass. On my small clover plots, i sometimes do 3 passes until i get the amount of seed i wanted on there.

I have mixed seed with fertilizer and had good results many times. Everything I have planted has came up, but cant speak of germination rates. It's not good to mix seed with the nitrogen part of the fertilizer. Mixes oats and potash is very common practice in farming though. Everything I have planted this way has not sat for long. Maybe at most a week or two with clover and fertilizer, but I usually spread 6-24-24. LEt the clover make up for the 6....

I can tell you from experience trying to spread a seed mix with clover, chicory and burnet with a solo spreader is a mistake.

The burnet kept clogging the orifice. I had to jiggle, jiggle, jiggle it to keep the seed flowing. Or, even worse, open the hole to let it through and dump 5x more of the small seed per crank than I wanted.
That's why we spread in a couple passes. We had some smaller seed pour out and dump after a few cranks of the handle - once. Lesson learned. Then we switched to spreading different seed on different passes. One guy does one seed with his spreader, another guy does another seed with his spreader. It takes more walking, but the results are worth it. Good exercise - better food plots.