Bridge project

ghilliehunter

5 year old buck +
My wife and I spent the last 2 days building a bridge over a ditch going from the field into the woods. Tough work but dry level place to walk or drive the quad.20170408_165926.jpgBefore
20170407_163038.jpg
During
20170408_165941.jpg
After

Is there a pipe in there? Or will just the big rocks let water seep through?

In MO those rocks would be at the neighbors place after spring.

Judging by the debris/plants present in the before pics, I don't think there's all that much flow at any time of year.

My ditches (either natural or man made) have bare dirt where flow would exceed the seepage capacity of the ford GH built. He's obviously got grass that's not affected. Looks pretty good to me!

Judging by the debris/plants present in the before pics, I don't think there's all that much flow at any time of year.

My ditches (either natural or man made) have bare dirt where flow would exceed the seepage capacity of the ford GH built. He's obviously got grass that's not affected. Looks pretty good to me!

I agree. I'm used to dealing with this type of flow. Dry in summer, but look out when the rains come. Previous owner went with to small of a pipe. Seems like I loose a crossing every year.

image.jpeg

Nice work John......IF you do get some decent flow you may need to put a pipe in, but if the flow is minor it should work its way thru the larger rocks just fine. I have crossing that are as small as a 4" pipe (like field tile), to 6" PVC pipe to 24" poly culvert pipe.....it all depends on the flow you are fighting. Either way, what you got there looks like it will keep the ATV from making a mess.

I placed a 4" tile in the ditch before I placed the rocks. Major trip hazard for humans and I was starting to make ruts with the 4 wheeler. After a lot of rain that area holds water for awhile. That project definitely makes a guy wish for a tractor with loader. But that's what the wife is for!

That project definitely makes a guy wish for a tractor with loader. But that's what the wife is for!

Getting you a tractor with a loader? :p Keep working her hard and she might do it. :D

Getting you a tractor with a loader? :p Keep working her hard and she might do it. :D

That or she will hit you in the head with a shovel and leave your butt in that ditch!

That or she will hit you in the head with a shovel and leave your butt in that ditch!

Worth the risk to me! :D Then again, I didn't ask permission when I bought my tractor.

Jim, I like your style! Its not for lack of permission, but green back dollar bills.