Brassica seed got wet...o.k. to plant?

Mike Bolin

5 year old buck +
Tried to take advantage of the weather forecast yesterday. The forecast called for light showers in the late afternoon/early evening, so I figure it is a good time to get the dwarf Essex rape and groundhog radish in the ground. It is around 3/4 of mile to the plot and since it is a small area, I grabbed the bag seeder and walked in. I had the radish seed spread and had just loaded the seeder with the rapeseed when a light shower started. No problem, perfect actually, except that it turned into a 45 minute downpour. Water started to puddle up so I packed up and got out to the truck. Bag seeder got soaked (as did I) and seed bag got pretty damp too.
I was going to go back this morning and broadcast the seed, but the access hill is too muddy to walk up. Probably be a couple of days before I can get up there. Is it worth my time and effort to plant this seed or should I just get new seed? I wonder if the radish got beat into the soil or floated out. I know this has happened to others before with a lot more experience that I have so I am looking for some guidance from anyone that wants to reply.
Thanks, Mike

eb6af2f68f4469c8c80e7d3af39f75ed.jpg

Sounds like you're better off than me. We got 6 inches the day I planted and it's still coming down. Any chance a turnip seed survives that If it hadn't sprouted yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about the brassica seed getting wet, Mike. Having walked up that access road when it was a little wet, I can't imagine trying it after a good soaking rain.

If the seed got soaked, I'd be inclined to get it on some dirt ASAP. If you have to wait multiple days or a week to spread it, you'll probably be better served to buy new seed. :-/

At least you didn't get flooded out, like John B did...that would be a real bummer!

Best I can hope for is tomorrow at the earliest, assuming we get no more rain. Amazing how wet this summer has been!

If the seed isn't cracked or sprouting, I think it would still be ok.

If the seed isn't cracked or sprouting, I think it would still be ok.
Unless it starts to mold..............;)

I'm going to try to get it planted tomorrow. Thanks for the input gentlemen!

Tomorrow will likely still b OK. If you realize it will not happen tomorrow get it in the freezer today and you can seed it then at your leisure.

Thank you for the replies. I actually got it broadcast on Thursday afternoon so I will just keep my fingers crossed at this point. Clover is looking great the milo plot is doing well for the most part.

Glad you were able to get it out...I'm jealous of your rain!!!!!!!

It has been a flat out drought here with almost no rain, we have gotten just a little here and there in the past two months.