Blue hill grafting

Mattyq2402

5 year old buck +
I have my blue hill pear and apple rstock coming today. Do you guys recommend whip n tongue or bench grafting? You guys that have his rootstock or have in the past what's your thoughts?

When I Bench Graft, I use the Whip and Tongue method. Don't let the roots on your rootstock get dry.

I might be wrong, but I believe bench grafting refers to grafting rootstock that is not growing in the ground and whip n tongue would be a method of bench grafting. I have difficulty with W/T personally and also often find my scion size small in comparison to the rootstock. For that reason I mostly use cleft grafts. I've even bark grafted some really small scions a couple years ago and they ended up being my best growers that year.

The Blue Hill rootstock I got the other week was huge - way bigger than my normal diameter scions. I did all cleft grafts. Last week I got some 'normal' sized Antonovka rootstocks from another source where it was easy to match the scion and rootstock diameters. I used a cheap Amazon grafting tool on those. I've had great success with the tool when topworking.

Whip and tongue grafting is an impressive skill... but a grafting tool gets the same job done very well.

If you can match the scion and rootstock size, the whip and tongue is the best option. It’s not that difficult if you get your knife sharp, and your cuts don’t have to be perfect. Watch a few videos, and then wrap everything up tight. For those with mismatched sizes, the modified cleft graft works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can match the scion and rootstock size, the whip and tongue is the best option. It’s not that difficult if you get your knife sharp, and your cuts don’t have to be perfect. Watch a few videos, and then wrap everything up tight. For those with mismatched sizes, the modified cleft graft works well.

OOPS! My above post was supposed to include the following -

That's the best video of chip bud grafting I've seen. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very informative vid, thanks.

I’ve always just done W/T grafts.