Blood Trailing Dogs

PatinPA

5 year old buck +
Well we just added this cute little pain in the ass to our family. She's part beagle and part something else. We think maybe Dachshund? I'm thinking about training her to be a blood trailing dog and was looking into some of the training aspects. Does anyone have any experience with them? I searched the site and saw that people have used them but didn't see anything about anyone that's actually owned one/trained one.

Fern.jpg

Darn that dog is cute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forget about it. That cute little thing will be spoiled way to much to ever amount to squat…..

Good looking pup

That is one handsome pup, would love to have a liter mate.

I looked into this quite a few years back and had good success getting my mutts with no experience tracking anything, to follow blood around my yard and eventually through the weeds with breaks in the blood trail and the 1st dog did great. Then my girlfriend took him when we split even though it was my dog. My next dog followed the trail alright, but licked up the blood as he went lol So I have mixed results. A Wirehaired Dachshund is the preferred breed because of it's small size (they go through brush where bigger dogs go around and try to pick back up the trail) and outstanding nose.

When I looked up the how to, they say it is easier to teach a dog to follow a blood trail then it is to teach them to follow a rabbit track. Rabbits run amongst other rabbits and critters and some dogs will mix up the scents and follow a different rabbit. Some dogs will drop a rabbit track and follow a deer track or another animals track. Whereas blood is a unique smell in the field so "they say" it is one of the easiest things to teach a dog to follow. Inspired I tried my house dog, a mostly beagle but not purebred or any papers, lost that one in the breakup. My second attempt was with a Golden Retriever and he was the blood licker.

Easy enough to find out if your dog will hunt, I just took the blood leftover in the bag every time I cooked venison, cut a small hole in the corner and made a trail around the yard with a treat at the end. There wasn't much blood in each bag so it wasn't like I painted a blood trail more like drips and drizzles. Start out small and work your way up to breaks 8-10 feet apart (like a deer jumping) and through brush and tall grass. Rookie tip: don't let the dog see you make the trail, my beagle skipped the trail and ran to where he saw me put the treat at the end lol I didn't start training them when they were pups, they were older dogs and in the house around a smoker so you don't need a $1,000 dog with papers to do it!

Hope that helps, good luck bud! Let us know how you make out.

Last edited:
Forget about it. That cute little thing will be spoiled way to much to ever amount to squat…..
She already is. Sleeps in our bed every night. Woke me up in the middle of the night the first 3 nights by chewing on my hands

That is one handsome pup, would love to have a liter mate.
We got her through a rescue. They said she came out of a litter of 8 in Kentucky.

Cute pup!

cure dog for sure
if your serious about getting it into a tracking dog
I'd suggest contacting some clubs or other trackers near you, and get started ASAP< the time to train is almost never too soon
here are two links you may find useful

Tag

cute little bugger!

I'm about to begin my 9th year tracking for the public here in South Alabama.......I've probably tracked around 500-600 deer now.....

I'm about to begin my 9th year tracking for the public here in South Alabama.......I've probably tracked around 500-600 deer now.....
Crimson. My biggest concern is whether I'm going to have time to keep up training. I've read where you're supposed to set up training tracks every 3 days or so. With young kids in school and sports, I'm just not sure I have the time for that. What's your frequency for that? More often earlier on in training? Do you still keep up frequent training even after your dog is experienced?

I dont do any off season training with my old dog anymore and havent since he was probably 2 oe 3 years old.....Its like learning to ride a bike.....Once they know how to do it they dont forget it. Training doesnt have to be complicated ..... Running a practice track every week or two is fine......All of my dogs have picked up on it pretty quickly and can run fake lines with relative ease......Its the real thing that takes a little while for them to get really good at ......Where you can trust that if they arent finding anything then its because there likely isnt anything there to find

I dont do any off season training with my old dog anymore and havent since he was probably 2 oe 3 years old.....Its like learning to ride a bike.....Once they know how to do it they dont forget it. Training doesnt have to be complicated ..... Running a practice track every week or two is fine......All of my dogs have picked up on it pretty quickly and can run fake lines with relative ease......Its the real thing that takes a little while for them to get really good at ......Where you can trust that if they arent finding anything then its because there likely isnt anything there to find
Thanks that makes me feel better about it.

It'd be a cool commodity to have. The issue with having one is when people find out, you start getting calls saturday night at 10 to go track a deer. I'm not saying your son's first fawn isn't worth the effort, but i don't know that it's worth the effort to ME. But having a dog that could do that on a marginally hit deer would be a sweet tool to have in your belt.

It'd be a cool commodity to have. The issue with having one is when people find out, you start getting calls saturday night at 10 to go track a deer. I'm not saying your son's first fawn isn't worth the effort, but i don't know that it's worth the effort to ME. But having a dog that could do that on a marginally hit deer would be a sweet tool to have in your belt.
that's what I was thinking. Not sure if I'll offer services but it would be nice to help out friends and family or myself.

Thanks that makes me feel better about it.
A lot of it comes with the dog maturing out of a puppy stage as well and no amount of training tracks can replace that. I had a lab that got killed that took until her 3rd season before she was able to slow down enough to efficiently track despite me constantly working with her.....She a crazy amount of drive to WANT to find the deer but not enough maturity to control it until she started getting older. She was bred to be a world class field trial dog

that's what I was thinking. Not sure if I'll offer services but it would be nice to help out friends and family or myself.
What will eventually happen is that you're gonna find a friends deer that he wasnt able to locate on his own and he's gonna be WOW'd by what a dog can do......Then he's gonna go tell the story to everyone he knows that even remotely like to hunt......Next thing you know you're gonna start having people call you that you have no idea who they are, where they got you're number from or who Lil Earl is??? lol

What will eventually happen is that you're gonna find a friends deer that he wasnt able to locate on his own and he's gonna be WOW'd by what a dog can do......Then he's gonna go tell the story to everyone he knows that even remotely like to hunt......Next thing you know you're gonna start having people call you that you have no idea who they are, where they got you're number from or who Lil Earl is??? lol
Haha. I'm sure. Not sure how my wife will feel about me taking her precious baby out to the woods to track dead deer. I keep telling her that she was born to track, you can't deny her that.