Blood, Sweat and Tears... for wildlife!

35-acre

5 year old buck +
Well, I hadn't been to my property for almost a month and needed to take care of "cabin upkeep things" (like mowing the lawn, splitting wood and so on).

I also wanted to get going with my field prep. I had some volunteer wheat that took to seed that I had noticed earlier this year (back in April). I hadn't seen how things were going in my field for a couple of months. I finished my chores and drove the riding mower up through the woods to the field with plans to give it a buzz and head back home. My plan was to mow the field down to keep the clover going... To say that I was shocked is an understatement.

1626873478672.png

One of my mower blades loosened up and wouldn't cut. I didn't want to set the field on fire with it just spinning metal on metal (aside from the terrible noise it makes). So I walked the 1/4 mile back to the cabin, grabbed some tools to tighten the blade and brought the gas and trimmer back just in case... Well, it turns out that I need a washer to get the blade tight all the way, which I didn't have (must have lost it when I changed the blades back in the spring).

So not making this a wasted trip for the field prep, I used the trimmer and after 2 1/2 hours, it was done! (My hands are sore today).
My field design is a peanut shape, so you really can't see the bottom right and left corners. It's days like this that make me wish it wasn't as big as it is - LOL.

But at least I didn't have to walk back to the cabin...

What's your blood, sweat and tears story?

Ha! Your picture reminded me of trying to "mow" my 1/4 acre hidey hole plot with a weedwacker. I have a sore back just looking at that! Never again :)

You now understand the difference between lawn tools and field tools ... Just wait until tall grasses bind in the blade area and you have to try and cut free, or belt break because of the binding. I have even had tall grasses bind up my pull behind trail mower.

An investment in a tractor will provide the correct tools for the intended purpose.

I have a plot on a slight slope that has a few washouts where I can't drive my tractor over to bushhog. So I have to weedeat those areas every time. They are not near as big as what you just weedeated, my friend! Respect, 35, respect! Lol.

This! And never look back :emoji_sunglasses:
I just can't justify the spend. I can buy several riders for the cost of a tractor; especially used one. Even a tow behind, is more than another mower.

You need a harness. The trimmers I use have a harness, like backpack straps, that the machine hangs from. I have literally spent 8-hour work days trimming rushes at a wildlife preserve without any fatigue. You get into a rhythm with a wide arc, almost like with a scythe. I still use a harness and trimmer to do a food plot where I can't drive an ATV or mower. Takes about an hour and doesn't leave me tired.

You need a harness. The trimmers I use have a harness, like backpack straps, that the machine hangs from. I have literally spent 8-hour work days trimming rushes at a wildlife preserve without any fatigue. You get into a rhythm with a wide arc, almost like with a scythe. I still use a harness and trimmer to do a food plot where I can't drive an ATV or mower. Takes about an hour and doesn't leave me tired.
Yeah, my strap was at home (90 minutes away). The things that you don't' know that you'll need always end up being needed. LOL

I just can't justify the spend. I can buy several riders for the cost of a tractor; especially used one. Even a tow behind, is more than another mower.

Many of us felt that way being frugal was a noble goal. Unplanned maintenance & repairs, parts, drive belts, etc. breaking and no where local to buy replacements.

Frugal can end costing more in the long run in terms of repair costs & lost time.

Kubota offers a 5 year loan with no interest. Pretty good program.

And remember that all lawn tools are not created equal:

q840SJj.jpg

dN2sLsA.jpg

Reading this makes me glad I have a DR field mower. Hurts my back just thinking of it

Many of us felt that way being frugal was a noble goal. Unplanned maintenance & repairs, parts, drive belts, etc. breaking and no where local to buy replacements.

Frugal can end costing more in the long run in terms of repair costs & lost time.

Kubota offers a 5 year loan with no interest. Pretty good program.
Can't agree with you more tree spud. If I only would of bit the bullet and invested in just a decent tractor at the start. I think most of us started down that frugal money saving adventure only to find it a up hill battle. I remember cutting grass with a push mower, pulling a disc with my pickup trying to do a 1/8 acre food plot, and I won't even talk about the problems with big old sprayer from a auction. After 15 years, finally getting a pole barn with 2 good tractors, ATV, and a few decent implements it has become enjoyable. Most of the time

Being frugal got me completely soaked in glyphosate Thursday after work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't agree with you more tree spud. If I only would of bit the bullet and invested in just a decent tractor at the start. I think most of us started down that frugal money saving adventure only to find it a up hill battle. I remember cutting grass with a push mower, pulling a disc with my pickup trying to do a 1/8 acre food plot, and I won't even talk about the problems with big old sprayer from a auction. After 15 years, finally getting a pole barn with 2 good tractors, ATV, and a few decent implements it has become enjoyable. Most of the time

Amen! I also started the frugal way....

I put my 1st 1/4 acre food plot in with a hand sprayer with gly, a weed wacker to cut the tall stuff, a 12 hp garden roto-tiller to work the soil. Then hand seeded with a Scott's hand held (32 oz) hand grass seeder.

About killed myself in the sun. Graduated to a $150 used 36" Craftsman riding lawn mower, which ended up in me spending over $600 in repairs & parts.

Eventually graduated to an ATV, brush mower, 52" disk and 25 gal sprayer. Was good until I kept over heating the ATV which was air cooled. Upgraded to a Kawi Mule 4010 which was a game changer at that stage.

Most of us started the hard frugal way because our wallets were thin and backs still strong. As your wallet thickens and your back keeps getting sore & strained, the logic of a tractor shines through ... :emoji_wink:

At least get a push weedeater