blaze vest no longer required for deer hunting in MN

Jameson

5 year old buck +
I had started a 'private conversation' with Sandbur to warn him that all clothing above waist except sleeves and gloves needed to be blaze while deer hunting. His camo facemask could get him a ticket I had thought, wrong. After re-re-reading this year's blaze orange requirement it finally went through my thick skull that the law got changed so only one item of clothing above the waist needs to be blaze, not all items like it was previously. Even then I had a hard time believing it so I sent a question to the DNR, and encourage anyone with doubts to the law to do the same. Time to find a set of blaze orange cufflinks, or maybe a blaze orange bow-tie. Probably already have a blaze scarf or facemask to wear.

my question:
Hello,
I have noticed that the blaze orange requirements has changed between the 2014 and 2015 regulation booklet, page 32 each year. Now for 2015 only one article above waist is required except sleeves and gloves, where as in 2014 all clothing above the waist except sleeves and gloves need to be blaze orange (and one part of hat.) The Office of Revisor of Statues has the 2014 law written (I think),and maybe it still needs to be updated this year if there was indeed a change, https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=97B.071.

Are the blaze orange requirement regulations written on page 32 of this year 2015 regulation book correct for a person firearms deer hunting during firearms deer season?

If so, might a person wearing a blaze orange facemask, no hat, and a non-blaze vest meet the requirements to hunt deer with a firearms during the firearms deer season? Perhaps the facemask would count as a hat, if so replace with a blaze orange neck-tie or scarf.

If there is someplace in the regulation booklet besides page 32 that I should be looking at please advise.

Thank-you
The DNR's answer:

Here is the wording from both years. A person must wear a hat and one item of outer clothing above the waist excluding sleeves. Kevin Kyle

From the 2014 hunting regs

Small Game Seasons: At least one visible article of clothing above the waist must be blaze orange when taking small game, except when hunting wild turkeys, migratory birds, raccoons, predators, when hunting by falconry, trapping or while hunting deer by archery while stationary.

Deer Season: The visible portion of at least one item of a cap and outer clothing above the waist, excluding sleeves and gloves, must be blaze orange when hunting or trapping during any open season where deer may be taken by firearms (including special hunts, early antlerless, youth seasons and muzzleloader).

From the 2015 hunting regs

Do I always need to wear blaze orange when hunting?

No. Blaze orange is not required when hunting migratory birds from a

blind or on the water, wild turkeys, raccoons or predators, when hunting

by falconry, when trapping (outside deer seasons) or when hunting deer by

archery while stationary.

Do I need to wear blaze orange when hunting small game?

At least one visible article of clothing above the waist must be blaze orange

when taking game not noted above.

Do I need to wear blaze orange during deer season?

The visible portion of at least one item of a cap and one item of outer

clothing above the waist, excluding sleeves and gloves, must be blaze orange

when hunting or trapping during any open season where deer may be taken

by firearms (including special hunts, early antlerless, youth seasons and

muzzleloader).

Hey if you cant increase deer numbers, you decrease hunter numbers!:D

I wasn't around for these days, but the idea of hunting with plaid red instead of blaze orange really intrigues me.

My Dad and I hunted red wool for years. We did not have the red camo.

My Dad and I hunted red wool for years. We did not have the red camo.

Didn't those wool loin-cloths get a little itchy?

That's how you learn new steps for the rain dance. ;)

My pops old red plaid hunting jacket might see some use this year. Good thinking folks.

For my first deer hunt......my mom dyed an old canvas "pull over" red and I got an old red cap from my dad. Strapped on my five-buckel overshoes and my long-johns.....and I was good to go.

That "red" pull over looked more like burgundy to me......but nobody got too serious back then. I'm pretty color-blind....so I never could see those red suits being much good. ;)

DSD, you hunting in my neighborhood this year?

We went without loin cloths for most of the season. It attracted the does. Bucks follow does.

DSD, you hunting in my neighborhood this year?
Not looking like it. Torn though, I think that area has great promise this year. 2011 was the year of the big wind storm, and I think the massive logging after that should start to pay off this year. So much cover and browse everywhere. Tough hunting, but good hunting. I have another option now that includes a warm bed and a free truck ride there, so I am leaning that way.

Red plaid for me when I first started. Then graduated to a heavy all red coat similar to an insulated Carhartt jacket. Blaze orange was pretty much unheard of in our area until a couple years before the DNR made it mandatory. One doesn't realize how much more visible blaze orange is until you put red plaid next to it at 50 yards in heavy brush.

The day I wear red plaid again while firearm hunting is the day they take me to have my head evaluated. Red plaid is black at 50 yards in low light conditions.
I won't even wear blaze camo for this very same reason. Some of the conifer swamplands we hunt in are pretty dark at noon on a sunny day.