Black Yote Pups

bigbendmarine

5 year old buck +
Free to good OR bad home... 5 yote pups. Semi-joking aside, know the conversation of yote coloration has come up in a past thread or two so thought I would share vision I awoke to this past week.

Looked out my bedroom window at dawn and could see litter of yote pups playing. Filmed them best I could with limited light (low-light is kryptonite to the fixed lens mega-zoom camera I use though I LOVE it in good light). Based on past observations / tons of game cam hits I would put our tan to black color ratio somewhere between 60 tan / 40 black to 50 / 50. So imagine my surprise at seeing the litter of pups having 4 black to a 1 lone tan.

I've always felt a bit ambivalent to our local yote population... witnessed them really start popping out of the woodworks around fawn drop season but have had no shortage of fawn survival in the past and only seen the yotes on cameras with rats, squirrels, and other small critters. Afraid that wasn't the case this go round... if pay close attention to the video you'll see the pups throwing something around starting around the 18 second mark. Not being able to make out what it was while filming, I walked the area later in the morning and sadly found the back half of an extremely young / small fawn (looked to be only a few days old). Thankfully have several other fawns past a month old alive and well. I'd noticed recently one doe was still carrying a good bit later than the rest. Guess she paid the price for having the fawn after the yotes had already been on the hunt for weeks, and with a yote mom eager to feed her young.

Other interesting observation is at the very end... I didn't hear the alert / call that the pups evidently did, but sure obvious something got their attention right quick like.

Next time you get a chance, smoke them all.
I would :)

Taken this morning. I don't know how the story ended but if the yote got its way it wasn't happy for the little one.

image.jpeg

Checked the camera pics tonight. Story ended good for the yotes. Not so good for the fawn.....

image.jpeg

Truly sorry for the loss of the fawn, Bill. Know for me it really put a damper on the day picking up the remains of the little fawn. Already had a big fire going burning trees taken down for my Morton shed build, so I at least kept the yotes from being able to return to further enjoy the kill.

I have mixed emotions on the yotes - I know they kill some young pigs - but also know they kill fawns every chance they get. Make no mistake - kill them all - every chance you get. You wont klll enough to hurt the yotes and you might just kill enough to save a fawn.

Next time tape the camera to bottom of the .223 barrel hit record button and start squeezing the trigger:emoji_wink:

I took out 19 yotes this past winter. I have no idea if it helped fawn survival but is sure didn't hurt.

Just mocking me now. I'll get the last laugh though. Yote population is through the roof.
Had a nice older guy stop in a year ago to inquire about trapping after deer season. Said he goes at it hard for a few weeks and moves on. His number is on the fridge and I'll be using it!

image.jpeg

Targets of opportunity on my farm. I always carry a rifle in the Suburban when I am on my land so that I can shoot any yotes that show up in daylight.

I can send you all a few wolves, they will take care of your yote problems.

WOW Thats crazy you captured that series of unfortunate events Bill:emoji_astonished:

I had never seen pups close up until last weekend. We have a litter hanging around our place this year, at least 3 or 4 of them, stupid enough to let me get within 10 yards. They are somewhat adorable and so I hesitated to shoot them initially.
Yesterday I remembered that cute little predators grow into bigger nastier predators so I thinned the litter a bit.

It's on now!
They managed to piss off a normally accepting kinda guy.
I used to shoot them when I could conveniently. But never really "went" after them.

Now those rotten SOB's are target #1 by lead or trap or by snare.
Different location than the first.

image.jpeg

It's on now!
They managed to piss off a normally accepting kinda guy.
I used to shoot them when I could conveniently. But never really "went" after them.

Now those rotten SOB's are target #1 by lead or trap or by snare.
Different location than the first.

View attachment 19504

Those are just the tiny fraction you are getting pictures of. Just think how many you are not getting pictures of. I know the thought of that didnt make you feel better.

Those are just the tiny fraction you are getting pictures of. Just think how many you are not getting pictures of. I know the thought of that didnt make you feel better.

No it didn't but you're right.....