Big Red

Jim Timber

5 year old buck +
Over the weekend I picked up a former Foley fire pump truck. 30,011 miles on the clock. 366ci BB gasser. 2sp rear end and 5spd transmission.

The coming weeks will involve moving the rear axle forward, adding a wet kit, and putting a dump box on it.

20150808_152223.jpg

When I was at the DMV transferring the title and getting plates, the lady said "that's like a pickup, right?" o_O

No, but they do look cool when you make them into one similar. :D

tn_Right%20Front.jpg

The Mrs. isn't feeling the love for the super sized pickup, and that's probably a good thing since they get less than half the MPG my Tahoe does, and it's not all that good to begin with.

Should run a long time for you. Keep us posted on the modifications.

I am convinced Jim Timber is crazy. The kind of crazy Paul Bunyan stories came from. Thats one cool looking piece of gear there.

Are you really married? We need to met that woman.

She likes the idea of the dump truck, but she doesn't drive manuals too well so I doubt she'll be putting much time behind the wheel of this one.

Aside from needing the dump to work on projects around the property, it'll cut my costs on my driveway fill moving forward. Had I bought one of these last winter, I could've paid for it in savings vs having the tailings hauled in by my contractor. Oh well, we got that done and now it's time to keep truck'n.

Here's a good example of what I'll end up with:

attachment.php

The Mrs. was at the land tour. Just say'n... :p

Only 30,000 miles...That seems really low, what year is it?

1975 Previous owner bought it from someone who got it when it was retired from service. They had collector plates on it at the time in 2009.

Nice to find a cherry classic like that. Nice job! You will get many years out of that, you won't come close to wearing it out.

Yep! I'm kinda surprised how much seals are leaking, but then again it also hasn't gotten them wet often enough and I know this thing has cork gaskets in it. It's not leaving puddles or dripping, but there's dirt on the pan, etc.

It's funny hopping behind the wheel - like stepping back into my '84 K5 (which I owned in '97) only in nicer shape. :D

I got to ask, who's that in the pic?

That's my FIL, Robert. He's 6'4.

Jim, I see a bulldozer in your future. ;)

I'll be renting one, that's for sure. :D Once Red's done I'll be able to tow it home.

I only managed to mark the frame for where it'll be getting bobbed today. The front spring hanger is about 6" forward of where the rails will be chopped. All three cross members are going to need to be moved. :)