All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big radishes...post them here.

browndog

5 year old buck +
Decided to pull one of the big boys out today. Tale of the tape: overall length-50", "meaty part"-32", circumference-17 3/4"

Last edited:
That looks like it's as big your leg.

That's impressive.

That's impressive.

I might have some longer ones but this one looked like it had the biggest girth. Wish I head a decent scale to weigh the thing. I also noticed a few monster turnips that I should dig up.

Do you find that deer can dig that up/pull it out? Or are you more using them for their soil building/compaction relief?

Do you find that deer can dig that up/pull it out? Or are you more using them for their soil building/compaction relief?

They usually eat them so they are flush with the top of the ground and then dig at them.The radish above came from a 1/2 acre plot of beans, corn, radish and turnips about 100yds from my house. It's usually a big draw in January when all the other plots are done.

Same here, they will pull some of the smaller ones up and out but the larger ones they'll eat to the ground.

^^Yep. On the big radishes, I would say that 30-35% of the "root/meat" is below ground.

Wow, did you apply a lot of nitrogen?

Sent from my 8g phone.

That is ridiculous looking!

Mine don't measure up to anything like that. I pulled these around the end of October. I actually busted some of the radish off in the ground.
Brassica 11-1.jpg
This was my attempt to salvage a drowned out corn plot. Absolutely no N added other than back in the spring when the corn was planted. You can see where I tried to access the plot and then decided better of it. You can also see where the rain just stood and totally stunted the corn growth. And obviously I was not able to add the follow-up N that is very common practice in my area. I got very little actual grain production from the corn so I had to do something.
corn.jpg
These where simply broadcast on top of the soil and let the rain do the work. I walked the rows with a hand broadcaster in mid to late Augest and things started to come in pretty nicely.
n plot.jpg

I am actually, finally, starting to see the deer actually eating them as historically the deer ignore them in my area. Some of my turnips are as big as my hat now. I have many that show signs of having the tops browsed and seem to have stunted the growth of the turnip bulbs.
turnips.jpg

Not a big radish but a preety good turnip.

At some point do the huge and Radish become too big and less desirable to deer?

At some point do the huge and Radish become too big and less desirable to deer?

I guess I haven't seen the deer pick big radishes over the smaller ones, the usually eat both down to the ground. Right now my radishes are done, after a few frosts they turn to mush, some of the tops are left on the ones they didn't eat but now my radishes are thru. The turnips are taking over now with some of the Kale and Rape in my mix.

That is a giant radish!!